Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally stopped raining here after a month of drizzle. Decided to take the X to work this morning. Felt great to quell the feelings of two-wheeled withdrawals. I was getting near work and just got off the freeway. I waited for my light to turn green. Once it turned green, I looked to my left and saw an approaching car coming, so I instictively waited to make sure he was going to stop. Good thing I waited. He never stopped. Just drove right through the interesection on a red light. He had plenty of time to stop, but just didn't. If I hadn't waited I would have been squarely t-boned for sure - might not have been here to tell you about my morning ride.

With the exception of the one lone idiot the ride was great and the sunshine felt good. Have a good riding day, everyone. And keep your radar on for idiots!

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Yep!
Ride like they are out to get ya! And maybe they won't!

·
Registered
595 Posts
I saw a girl in Camaro get T-boned like that years ago by a Co-op feed truck. I was 2nd in line at the light behind her. The light turned green and she nailed it immediately without ever looking either way to see if anyone was gonna run the light. Next thing I know, I hear the tires screeching on the feed truck but he couldn't stop. They ended up in a parking lot before they got stopped. Fortunately he hit her passenger door. Ever since then I always look before I take off from a new green light whether I am on 2 wheels or 4.

Glad you looked before you leaped!

·
Registered
571 Posts
isn't that a good example of "defensive driving"? yell, i believe it is. good habit to get into at intersections. glad you were smart to look both ways. :)

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
BlueFalcon said:
Finally stopped raining here after a month of drizzle. Decided to take the X to work this morning. Felt great to quell the feelings of two-wheeled withdrawals. I was getting near work and just got off the freeway. I waited for my light to turn green. Once it turned green, I looked to my left and saw an approaching car coming, so I instictively waited to make sure he was going to stop. Good thing I waited. He never stopped. Just drove right through the interesection on a red light. He had plenty of time to stop, but just didn't. If I hadn't waited I would have been squarely t-boned for sure - might not have been here to tell you about my morning ride.

With the exception of the one lone idiot the ride was great and the sunshine felt good. Have a good riding day, everyone. And keep your radar on for idiots!

:mrgreen:
not to mention that I've seen it with my own eyes: green lights for both approaches.

at least 3 times in my life.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
Hey Falcon! I hear ya on the rain. I rode yesterday, even with the darka.. clouds. Today is very nice. The whole week is looking good. Are you going to Leavenworth?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Everyone needs to remember this: A green light is not a COMMAND to GO. It's an invitation to go...if the coast is clear. More often then not, I see people simply give it the gas when the light turns green, without even checking if any cars are coming.

·
Registered
201 Posts
FL_VTX_Rider said:
Everyone needs to remember this: A green light is not a COMMAND to GO. It's an invitation to go...if the coast is clear. More often then not, I see people simply give it the gas when the light turns green, without even checking if any cars are coming.
I've watched pedestrians start across a cross walk because one car stopped.....
Looking down at the pavement.....and walk smack into an onrushing car from another lane...."Splat".....Just like something out of a "MAD" comic book.
When I cross walking or riding.....I continue to monitor for the "IDIOTS"....We don't have enough chlorine to clean out the whole pool. :lol:

·
Registered
633 Posts
If Im waiting for a light, I will always let another car beat me across traffic, sorta like a crash test dummy........and I still look several times before going.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Road Runner said:
[quote="FL_VTX_Rider":2ihs7jig]Everyone needs to remember this: A green light is not a COMMAND to GO. It's an invitation to go...if the coast is clear. More often then not, I see people simply give it the gas when the light turns green, without even checking if any cars are coming.
Looking down at the pavement.....and walk smack into an onrushing car from another lane...."Splat".....Just like something out of a "MAD" comic book.
When I cross walking or riding.....I continue to monitor for the "IDIOTS"....We don't have enough chlorine to clean out the whole pool. :lol:[/quote:2ihs7jig]

That's why I never stop for pedestrians any more. People start to cross when they see me stop, only to be almost run down because some fool thinks I'm simply an inconvenience to mash the gas peddle and speed around.

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Have had the same thing happen to me here in the SPrings three times in the last year. Gravel trucks coming down some of these hills just can't stop in time. Even when they see the light turn yellow, they get on the brakes and smoke the drums trying to stop. Go right through the intersection any way. First time that happened, I have been checking left-right-left at least two times before going.

·
Registered
841 Posts
teksmex69 said:
Road Runner said:
[quote="FL_VTX_Rider":3t189ajg]Everyone needs to remember this: A green light is not a COMMAND to GO. It's an invitation to go...if the coast is clear. More often then not, I see people simply give it the gas when the light turns green, without even checking if any cars are coming.
When I cross walking or riding.....I continue to monitor for the "IDIOTS"....We don't have enough chlorine to clean out the whole pool. :lol:
That's why I never stop for pedestrians any more. People start to cross when they see me stop, only to be almost run down because some fool thinks I'm simply an inconvenience to mash the gas peddle and speed around.[/quote:3t189ajg]

That's a big pet peeve of mine. Some drivers try to "be nice" and let pedestrians or vehicles that don't have the right of way go through an intersection or cross the path of traffic. Your doing the right thing, teks.

My younger brother, who was 8 at the time, was trying to cross a street, but not at an intersection. An older woman saw my brother and stopped in the middle of the 4-lane, motioning my brother to cross the street. A Bell Telephone van passing in the next lane didn't have a chance to see the young boy emerge from behind the land yacht and slammed into him. My brother was "lucky" to survive getting hit, and to this day, my blood boils everytime I see some driver trying to be kind by giving up their right of way to pedestrians.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Almost had an accident today, but it wasn't at a light.

I was riding two up with an ex girlfriend coming down a back road with little traffic. I saw a car was trying to get out of a parallel parking spot and was ready to exit(car at a 45 degree angle and clear of the car in front of him) but not hardly in my lane. I was coming up behind him at about 30 miles an hour and I thought what would I do if he pulled out.

Well, he did. maybe 20-30 feet in front of me and couldnt make the U-turn so he was blocking probably 3/4 of the road including part of my lane. Hard braked it like I learned in the class and came to a stop right behind him basically in the spot he had left. It was closer then it sounds.

The best part was that I had my dual air horns on as soon as he came out, and left them on while I came to almost a complete stop behind him, just incase he wanted to back up or something dumb.

I was probably air-horning his @ss for a good 6-8 seconds, even if the last half wasn't necessary..

·
Registered
803 Posts
I got one for ya.

One morning on my way to work on I-3N in Mass, just short of the NH
border, I saw a woman sitting in a VW Jetta in the breakdown lane. As I
approached, she put the car in gear and the instant the car started moving,
she pulled out of breakdown lane into traffic. Never even looked.

Fortunately for her, I was the only vehicle around at the time, and I had
already moved into the passing lane, based on the old "give 'em room to
do something stupid" rule, otherwise I would have plowed right into her at
65 mph.

Another time, a car entered the highway and went straight to the passing
lane, right in front of me. I was going kind of fast, so I had to swerve quickly
to avoid a collision. Scared the waah out of me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts