Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As soon as they're ready, I'm going to get myself one of the custom VTX intakes air boxes. I read that the shims/washers for the scar mod come with the air box assembly. I was just wondering, would there be any advantage to just getting a dynojet kit or one of the many other re-jet kits out there? The carb is going to be partially disassembled to do the Scar mod, anyway. The permanent AF screw mod from Glen's is also going to be installed. I just wanted to know if any of the "wise old heads" out here have an opinion...

Thanks

Den

·
Registered
719 Posts
Well in my case the scar mod wouldn't do. I put 4 shims under the stock needle and she still needed more gas! This is a Spectre filter. I ended up going with a Factory Pro stage 3 kit after some pm's to a few members here( Greg Riddle and JOSHWALEE)
who steered me in that direction. I'm glad I listened because this is defiantly the way to go for a heavy breather. IMO the scar mod works good for air filters that don't pull in a lot of air or maybe a shim with some pipes, but as i said for a heavy breather your better off with a jet kit IMO.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well in my case the scar mod wouldn't do. I put 4 shims under the stock needle and she still needed more gas! This is a Spectre filter. I ended up going with a Factory Pro stage 3 kit after some pm's to a few members here( Greg Riddle and JOSHWALEE)
who steered me in that direction. I'm glad I listened because this is defiantly the way to go for a heavy breather. IMO the scar mod works good for air filters that don't pull in a lot of air or maybe a shim with some pipes, but as i said for a heavy breather your better off with a jet kit IMO.

Has anyone near sea level noticed any improvement with the scar mod on an otherwise stock bike? Are they too lean from the factory? Is there untapped potential that I should be exploring even in stock form?

Thanks

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lean from the factory? From what I understand, yes.

Has anyone near sea level noticed any improvement with the scar mod on an otherwise stock bike? Are they too lean from the factory? Is there untapped potential that I should be exploring even in stock form?

Thanks
I've heard the VTX's, by nature of their factory tuning, run a little on the lean side.

Other than my BuB pipes, my bike is stock (as far as the motor is concerned). With winter coming, as an Ohioan, I'm nearing the end of my riding season. That said, I'd kinda like to get some stuff done for the spring and ensure it's still running satisfactorily (well, better, if I'm going to tinker with a bike that's running perfectly well:tools:...) Like you, I'm just looking for a bit more performance and not wanting to get all crazy and get an 1800. My solution? An airbox something like an Arlen Ness Big Sucker and what's probably going to be a rejet (thanks for the replies, guys!)... My $.02...

Den

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'm a recent convert to Factory Pro carb kits, and I wish I would have spent the money sooner.
I fiddled with Dynojet parts and have limited success,the Factory Pro with Glens permanent a/f screw will give you all the goodies you need to handle big air and big pipes.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Yep, go with Factory Pro instead of Dynojet. I couldn't get the DJ kit to work worth a crap with my Spyker air box mod and K&N filter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts