Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new winter helmet that doesn't fog up very easily and from all my research, I'm leaning heavily towards either a Scorpion EXO-400 or EXO-700. I can't decide which of those to go with though. It seems that the primary difference between the two is the shell construction. I know from my searches that a few people on the board use these helmets. My question is whether any of you have experience with both or have enough knowledge about them to make a wise choice between the two. I'm just trying to decide if there's anything about the 700 that makes it worth the extra money. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I love my Scorpion. :D I am on my 2nd EXO-700 helmet. The first was stolen. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an EXO-400 as a spare or for one of my kids who wouldn't use it regularly but I like having the extra ventilation controls on the 700.
I might splurge on the EXO-1000 sometime in 2009.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have the exo-400. It is a great helmet. My only complaint would be the check pads squeeze your cheeks pretty good. I am always afraid I am going to bite the inside of my mouth. Other then that, I think for the money, they are excellent.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
I see you have a windshield on your bike. I do too and my EXO-700 fogs up something fierce in the rain and in the cold. When it's raining, I can crack the shield open one notch, but when it's cold -- really cold -- the only thing I can do is open the shield all the way and tough it out. That's part of why I didn't do as much cold weather riding this year as I have in past years. Of course, it doesn't get as cold in Mississippi as it does up here in Wisconsin, so you might be okay.

FWIW, that helmet doesn't fog up at all on the wife's sportbike...

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have the exo - 700 and primarily went with it for more ventilation. I like it much better then my old HJC. I have never had a problem with the face shield fogging up.

Jeremy

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
I don't own a Scorpion helmet but I wanted to chime in and say there are several products on the market that you can that you can apply to your faceshield and/or glasses to prevent fogging. I've used an anti-fog spray on my shields for years with no damage to the shields.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I see you have a windshield on your bike. I do too and my EXO-700 fogs up something fierce in the rain and in the cold. When it's raining, I can crack the shield open one notch, but when it's cold -- really cold -- the only thing I can do is open the shield all the way and tough it out. That's part of why I didn't do as much cold weather riding this year as I have in past years.
Is that with the clear shield that they come with? Although I have not used that shield yet, I will in the morning and my understanding is, those will not fog up. Guess I will find out tomorrow, it is supossed to be 9 degrees when I leave.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It sounds like they are both good helmets, but maybe the 700 has a little better ventilation. What about the weight of either of these? I've had some neck problems, and I know these helmets are a bit on the heavy side. Are they pretty well balanced, or do they feel heavy on your head?

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
It sounds like they are both good helmets, but maybe the 700 has a little better ventilation. What about the weight of either of these? I've had some neck problems, and I know these helmets are a bit on the heavy side. Are they pretty well balanced, or do they feel heavy on your head?
As far as the weight goes, that has never been a issue for me.

·
Registered
877 Posts
my brother has a exo-400 and loves it.i sloved my fogging with my shoei with pinlock shield.no more fogging at all.

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
Is that with the clear shield that they come with? Although I have not used that shield yet, I will in the morning and my understanding is, those will not fog up. Guess I will find out tomorrow, it is supossed to be 9 degrees when I leave.
It's with the chromed shield on, papa, but that shield is also supposed to be a no fog design. I'm pretty sure it's just an airflow issue, because that helmet doesn't fog up at all on the wife's FZ6 and she has virtually no windshield at all. I have been hesitant to use a product like Rain-X Anti-Fog on my helmet shield, because it specifically says not to use it on non-clear surfaces. Of course, I could have used it on my clear shield. D'oh!

G

·
I don't have a Scorpion?

What are the shell construction differences?

If it is a Fiberglass shell versus a composite molded shell, I would definitely choose Fiberglass.

That's just my opinion though!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I bought 400's for my wife and I. We use them in colder weather.

I too had to get used to the cheek pressure but no biggie. Like a snowmobile helmet; snug, warm, yet comfortable.

As far as vent, I found that by opening the shield one click, about 1/8" open, it stayed clear until I got up to speed, then closed it down.

These also have outside opening and closing vents that seem to work fine.

For the $ 100 or so bones, they are a great DOT certified helmet.

Jim

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 400 is a polycarbonate shell and the 700 is a fiberglass/kevlar composite.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have a ex0-1000, never had any fogging issues yet. my wife has a 400 and she has not mentioned any problems. she says the cheek pads are tight too:lol: slim

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I have been hesitant to use a product like Rain-X Anti-Fog on my helmet shield, because it specifically says not to use it on non-clear surfaces. Of course, I could have used it on my clear shield. D'oh!
For scuba diving, I have used tooth paste and It keeps my goggles from fogging. You just apply a small amount on your finger, rub it on the goggles and rinse. It would probably work just as well with the shield. But I have not tried it yet.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I got this EXO-700 slightly used on eBay last night for about $90 including shipping. It even has an extra tinted shield. Pretty good deal. I would have rather had a solid color, but this one still looks pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,112 Posts
My wife and I both have the 400 helmets, and they work very well. Fortunately, we were able to try on the 400 and 700 helmets to feel the difference. For both of us, the 400 fit better. The shield and pads come off easily for cleaning, too.

We did buy the aero skirts to help keep the wind from creeping up under the helmet in the chin area.

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
Can't help with your decision but I have an EXO-200 and am real happy with it. Don't care for full face lids.

·
Registered
829 Posts
The EXO 700 has better vents, and better construction. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one. I have an EXO-700 and have ridden in 13 deg. temps with no fogging issues at all. I didn't have a windshield at that time. I now have a NC deflector shield (which doesn't block air flow to my face) and still have not experienced any fogging issues.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts