Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I have to travel a lot on my motorcycle due to my job. I had a helmet before, but somebody stole it last week, I am planning to buy a new helmet. I have seen some of the Full Face Helmets, but I am confused between Scorpion R420 and HJC 70 ST, I found both amusing, but still, I have to buy one. So can anyone give me some personal experience of it? Which is better?

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Hi everyone,
I have to travel a lot on my motorcycle due to my job. I had a helmet before, but somebody stole it last week, I am planning to buy a new helmet. I have seen some of the Full Face Helmets, but I am confused between Scorpion R420 and HJC 70 ST, I found both amusing, but still, I have to buy one. So can anyone give me some personal experience of it? Which is better?
My FF helmet is an HJC (iS-max i think) and I find the wind noise inside is awful. I rarely use it, I prefer my 1/2 helmet.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just bought a scorpion last year and hate it. Its big heavy noisey and catches wind terrible. Went back to my old nolan and orderd another. Would not recommend scorpion

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
I have a HJC half helmet, not impressed.

·
Super Moderator
63,943 Posts
You can't buy a helmet without trying them on. Each helmet is made to fit a different shaped head/skull and what fits me good, may fit you terribly and be uncomfortable. Best thing to do is take a day and go around to every motorcycle dealer around you and try on ever helmet and wear them for a few minutes each.

·
Premium Member
7,834 Posts
One, the other or both might not fit you properly, or comfortably, so there is no answer anyone can give you that is necessarily right for you. Read all of the reviews you can in those models and pick the features most important to you, and then try one on. It could be really quiet, stylish, Snell approved, highest rated full face helmet in the world. If it doesn't fit properly, it's not safe. If it's not comfortable you won't wear it. Comfort and fit are primary in safety. The rest is just marketing and price. Cheap generally is cheap. It can be really comfortable and fit great, but it will fall apart in no time. It won't last a year. Really expensive uses, generally, highest quality materials, tend to be lighter, quieter and better ventilated, but if it doesn't fit, it's a grossly overpriced ornament.

Try them both, buy the one that fits best.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Scorpion and HJC go from cheap helmets to expensive. The HJC 70st is a higher quality helmet than the Scorpion R420. I like some of the Scorpion helmets but I am looking at there model numbers above 700 to be in the same realm. I agree with Spike if you can find some place to try the different models on you would be much happier.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Ryan Fortnine .......head shape is important.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I agree with all the fitment comments, of course, and that is first priority.

I too found the wind noise intolerable on my full face, so I removed the face shield completely and wear colored/clear glasses for day/night. I have am OEM windshield The noise drops to minimal, I feel the wind, which I like and feel like I have almost all of the protection. The drawbacks are that it looks unfinished and of course the rain; seems that there is more drops on and behind the glasses, like maybe droplets that hit the rim or near the opening splash, but rain is rain for all of us And that might be my imagination.

This one doesn’t have an internal visor which is something I will look for on my next. It fits well enough that I wear it almost always and for a cheap one it’s been good enough. I plan to spend a bit more on the next one and hopefully it will be better on the longer rides. Wear my 1/2 about a dozen times a year, mostly slow speeds and short distances. No denying that it is most comfortable and quiet and open... but, the trade off in protection.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you looked at the LS2’s? I just bought a LS2 Valiant II, it’s one of their modular helmets, has a great internal sun shade and the chain bar is also capable of flipping over to the back so you can wear it as a 3/4 also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts