Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
I could scrape my pegs fairly easily, It would even do it making u-turns in a parking lot. If you aren't scraping consider yourself lucky as you are avoiding the biggest complaint of riding a cruiser.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Give your rear shocks a twist. If you increase the pre-load you'll get more clearance.

Shaft drive bikes lift the rear end up with acceleration. Approach the turn slower and accelerate harder out of the turn.

Carry less weight on your bike.

Get the "C" , just kidding on that last one.

·
Registered
9,766 Posts
dd3genrider said:
Give your rear shocks a twist. If you increase the pre-load you'll get more clearance.

Shaft drive bikes lift the rear end up with acceleration. Approach the turn slower and accelerate harder out of the turn.

Carry less weight on your bike.

Get the "C" , just kidding on that last one.
If you were refering to me Thanks, but...
I had progressive 440's with HD springs
I was usaully drifting the rear a bit, so more throttle is not an option
I can't carry less wieght unless I (or the bike) loses some
I had the C

I still think it is the best cruiser out there!!!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
you are still going to hit soft metal quickly with these bikes. They are not made for tight twisties. I've seen scrapes on pipes, pegs and floorboards. You'll be ok . Although it will scare the Bajeazez out of you the first few times.
Mike

·
Registered
72 Posts
SearcyVTX said:
So am I that cautious that I just don't lean much...or are there a bunch of you guys that take corners like motorcycle racers?
Hi Wally,
The answer is yes to both parts of that question. It sounds to me like you are simply riding in your comfort zone and that you will eventually scrape them around a corner. It doesn't have to be at break-neck speeds either. If you are worried that you are being overcautious, I suggest getting out to an open lot and practice your slow speed handling. Once you get comfortable with tight U-Turns, you’ll scrape them all the time. :)

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
You own a Retro, and have never sraped a floorboard?

Then the answer is: Yes, you are cautious.

There is nothing wrong with that. An X can be fun even if you aren't scooting through a twistie fast enough to lean hard.

And by the way, there aren't all that many scuffs on my Retro floorboards either.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
I scrape mine often. Mostly because i'm riding with a goup and in turns in town i have to keep it tight due to having someone right off my side behind me. Freaked out a few of those riders next to me before..lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts