Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am from Canada and recently holiday'd in your beautiful states of Montana and Idaho where I bought some Seafoam. The product comes highly recommended from this site and is not available in Canada. I bought 1/2 dzn. cans as I don't know when I'll be back. Upon reading the label I noticed that you can add it to the crankcase. Has anyone done this before? I don't like the idea of adding anything but oil if I'm going to drive it for a while, so I assume that you would add it and run it as an engine cleaner. Any more input on this product would be helpful... Thanks

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
BAD, BAD JU-JU!

Seriously, I HIGHLY recommend against it, as the bike has a wet clutch, and you don't want any slippage on the clutch. BAD BAD JU-JU!

Maybe right before you change your oil, but I still wouldn't do it.

However, your bike!

nojoke

·
Registered
607 Posts
Use of Sea Foam in crankcase

A lot of members use it to clean there fuel system but i have never heard anyone mention using it in ther crankcase. Wet clutch would be one reason.

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
Never add ANYTHING to engine oil, ever. OIls have everything that is good for engines already added to it. If there was some "miracle" additive, Mobil would add it to their oil and charge you more.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I for one cant imagine why anyone would put Seafoam in their bikes fuel tank either.
Have you read the ingredients?

Pale oil, 40 to 60% of weight, mainly used by artists as a base oil for paints.

Naphtha, 25 to 35% of weight, better known as coleman camp fuel.

IPA, 10 to 20% of weight, better known as rubbing alcohol. ( Isoprophyl alcohol )

I just dont get it.

But, do as you will.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Amen to what Spike said....don't make an oil change/choice over complicated....use a good oil....Amsoil is very good (I choose Castrol synthetic 10W40) and change 4 to 5 K with a filter...I use a walmart Supertech 7317...my choice :popcorn:. Don't overthink this oil thing...just change it and filter regulary (is this spelled correctly?)....I don't and never have added anything to my oil...car, truck of scoot....just MY 2 cents! Ride safe my friends, Bisley

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seafoam is available at the NAPA dealerships across Alberta. It is used in the crankcase by many after they swamp their off road vehicles as it absorbs water and allows you to clean out your crankcase in 1-2 engine flushes instead of 5-6 flushes. it works very well in your fuel as well to strip wax from injectors and carbs.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NAPA

Seafoam is available at the NAPA dealerships across Alberta. It is used in the crankcase by many after they swamp their off road vehicles as it absorbs water and allows you to clean out your crankcase in 1-2 engine flushes instead of 5-6 flushes. it works very well in your fuel as well to strip wax from injectors and carbs.
I have a NAPA by work. I'll have to stop in some day. But with 1/2 dzn. cans I should be good for a while. I could never imagine putting his product in a crankcase of a perfectly running engine. Especially with a wet clutch. I will use sparingly in fuel only.

Thanks everyone for the excellent information on this product

·
Registered
93 Posts
I for one cant imagine why anyone would put Seafoam in their bikes fuel tank either.
Have you read the ingredients?

Pale oil, 40 to 60% of weight, mainly used by artists as a base oil for paints.

Naphtha, 25 to 35% of weight, better known as coleman camp fuel.

IPA, 10 to 20% of weight, better known as rubbing alcohol. ( Isoprophyl alcohol )

I just dont get it.

But, do as you will.
I put it in my gas tank. I get 20 more miles per tank this year vs. last year. Same riding style, same area. It does a good job of cleaning injectors and also if you have some bad gas. Does not take much.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seafoam works very well for Carb and EFI units. One note is to check your oil after using it. It cleans very well and can clean buildup off of the cylinders which could end up in your oil. With the ingredients in the mixture, I see nothing that could be harmful to an engine as long as you follow the instructions.

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
No one said it would be harmful. It just isn't needed. OIls these days, even natural oils, have detergents added to them. There is no sludge problems like some oil commercials will have you believe. So there is no reason to clean out an engine case that has been treated to regular oil changes. If there was a miracle oil additive out there that actually works, Mobil and all the rest would already be adding it to their oil and charging us more for it. ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I believe my last post was misunderstood. Seafoam works great as an additive to the fuel once/yr to clean out and wax that can accumulate in carburators and injectors. I was not suggesting to use it in the oil. Seafoam is also used to attach to water molecules and help remove it from the crankcase. I can't see a VTX getting water in its crankcase though......

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I am from Minnesota and recently holiday'd in your beautiful provinces of Alberta and
British Columbia where I purchased some of your Nelson Brewing Company beer.
I bought 1/2 dzn. bottles as I don't know when I'll be back.

.. sorry I got a better deal.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I use seafoam every 3 to 5 fillups, 1/4 of a bottle is PLENTY. No reason to put seafoam in your oil, id definatly recomend against it. Bad juju with wet clutch.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I heard a mechanic friend say that seafoam is no more than snake oil. They said just put sta-bil in the gas tank only if the bike will be parked over winter. Other wise no additives are needed for gas or oil. The only thing that would seem to benefit is that if there were water in the fuel, then the alcohol in the seafoam would mix with the H2O and burn through. But there are other products for that as well. My 2 cents.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Beer

I am from Minnesota and recently holiday'd in your beautiful provinces of Alberta and
British Columbia where I purchased some of your Nelson Brewing Company beer.
I bought 1/2 dzn. bottles as I don't know when I'll be back.

.. sorry I got a better deal.
I agree. Dont pour any into your crankcase though

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I believe my last post was misunderstood. Seafoam works great as an additive to the fuel once/yr to clean out and wax that can accumulate in carburators and injectors. I was not suggesting to use it in the oil. Seafoam is also used to attach to water molecules and help remove it from the crankcase. I can't see a VTX getting water in its crankcase though......
I have torn down litterally hundreds of carbs and have never found any
" wax " in any of them. I'm not sure what you're calling wax, but I assume
you're talking about the residue that builds after setting for long periods of time. Seafoam will do nothng for this. Carbs that are ran regularly won't have any buildup in them, nor will injectors. Todays gasoline already has detergents in it that keeps away any buildup. Seafoam might pick up a little water due to it's content of ipa. But you shouldn't have water in you fuel anyway. Most people that get water in their tanks get it from using a can that has been left outside. Again I'll say seafoam is crap.

·
Super Moderator
64,412 Posts
I heard a mechanic friend say that seafoam is no more than snake oil. They said just put sta-bil in the gas tank only if the bike will be parked over winter. Other wise no additives are needed for gas or oil. The only thing that would seem to benefit is that if there were water in the fuel, then the alcohol in the seafoam would mix with the H2O and burn through. But there are other products for that as well. My 2 cents.
Seafoam is no more a snake oil than is Stabil. They both do the same thing, but havedifferent ingredients. Stabil USED to be the thing to use here in Illinois until a few years ago. The additives that are used in Illinois fuel did not mix well with the Stabil and the carbs got gummed up worse than if you just left the fuel sitting in them. Seems the Stabil mixed with the fuel and turned to varnish quite fast. I know this for a fact because I used Stabil in my small engines and had to have thecarbs rebuilt each time. The John Deer mechanic told me they were seeing a ton of repairs from Stabil users and suggested I try Seafoam next time. I did and since then, my small engines start on the first pull after storeage.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts