Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The seat bolts on my 1800c are a pain in the butt. Does anyone out
there have a fix. A quick release of some kind would be wonderfull.
Thanks for any help. db

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
do the mod,
It is GREAT!!
One of the best things I have done, go from 2up to solo in like 30 seconds!!

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ka-ching. Another would-be nickel to my retirement fund. :lol:

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I went to a pawnshop and for 2 bucks got a 10", 3/8ths extension with a 3/8ths drive, 6mm Allen head adapter.

Makes for a much easier removal and still makes it harder for a thief. Not that I know anyone that has ever had a seat stolen, but at a few hundred bucks for the seat….

Does anyone out there have a solution to doing the mod and still make the seats more secure so people don't walk off with the aftermarket seats. They are a bit expensive and with the mod would only take a few seconds to walk off with the drivers seat.

Thanx,
Gary

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Yeah that's weird. My friend has on '02 C, and he had to drill out the seat bolts to remove the stock seat then install his Corbin seat. While on my '02 Retro, all the seat bolts came right out while doing the desmog today. Also, while doing the desmog using instructions from Bare's site (good job BTW) the 4 screws that are recommended to be dealt with by an impact screwdriver, mine came out by with a hand held screwdriver. :wink: Maybe I was just lucky...who knows? :lol:

·
Registered
915 Posts
I haven't done the mod,but i have had trouble till i put a little 30wt. oil on the threads.They come right out and in fine now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cruzr,

Your question gave me an idea. I haven't done it, but I am thinking of it.

Instead of a bolt or a "push-pin" type contraption we can use a one piece metal rod that gos from one side to the other. One side can have a large head so it doesn't go through the hole and on the other side it would have a small hole in it to put a small padlock through to lock it in place.

I know my explanation isn't that clear, but think of the pin used to secure a ballmount to a hitch.

Duke

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
neovtxtreme said:
check bare's site for the seat pin mod
www.bareasschoppers.com
Although listed on Bare's site, let's give credit where it is do. That mod was developed by AtaDude ( as in allergic to asphalt Dude) 8)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
ISKIVT said:
neovtxtreme said:
check bare's site for the seat pin mod
www.bareasschoppers.com
Although listed on Bare's site, let's give credit where it is do. That mod was developed by AtaDude ( as in allergic to asphalt Dude) 8)
Thank you. Thank you very much! (In my best Elvis voice) :lol:

·
Registered
525 Posts
Has anyone done the mod who has a Mustang seat?

I did it the other night and I cant rotate the rings to hide them under the seat now. The Mustang Classic seat comes down over the pins a little further than the stock seat did.

I thought about removing the rings from the pins and making a tool that would go through the hole where the ring was to pull the pins out.

This would increase the security issue as well.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
2fast4u I am interested in your question as well. I havent done the mod yet but I have to do something. My corbin seat trim comes down over the stock screws so far it is a real pain in the A$% to get them in and out, but I dont think the trim would allow me to rotate and hide the rings from the pins to hide them. Has anybody had any trouble with the pins working back out or are the detents and balls on the pins strong enough that you dont have to worry about it?

·
Super Moderator
63,774 Posts
I use purple wire ties(zip ties) to match my bike. Not only are they colorful, but they also don't scratch the chrome. Flexable too, so you can bend them into any spot they'll fit. 8)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
okbow68 said:
2fast4u I am interested in your question as well. I havent done the mod yet but I have to do something. My corbin seat trim comes down over the stock screws so far it is a real pain in the A$% to get them in and out, but I dont think the trim would allow me to rotate and hide the rings from the pins to hide them. Has anybody had any trouble with the pins working back out or are the detents and balls on the pins strong enough that you dont have to worry about it?
No trouble... no backouts.... that I know of... and it was originally developed for my Corbin seat with the same side trim.

·
Registered
20 Posts
ataDude and Bare thanks for the responses guess I will give it a whirl got to find some pins first, boy that corbin trim is a pain when messing with them seat bolts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
neo adaptation

For anyone else with a Neo, I did the seat pin mod recently but I had to grind down part of the welded-on nut on the seat bracket so that the pin's bearings could engage. Otherwise, the pin hits the fender before it can seat. BTW, I used the T-handle Kwik-lok's that Spike suggested as an alternative on Bare's mod page.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
okbow68 said:
ataDude and Bare thanks for the responses guess I will give it a whirl got to find some pins first, boy that corbin trim is a pain when messing with them seat bolts
When fiddling with the pins... pull the Corbin "skirt" out ... toward you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been thinking about this mod for some time. Most of the time, I ride solo. Without the rear seat, will the seat tend to be sloppy on its mount? I really hate those bolts and would like to do the mod.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts