Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I did my homework and the search thing. A lot of helpful feedback was found. I have only had my 1300S a short time, but I find myself in general agreement that the stock seat is, ahem, lacking.

That said, Ultimate, Mustang, and Corbin (I've had a few Corbins on other bikes and like them a lot) all seem like pretty good options, or at least, following the anything else is an improvement notion.

Does a seat designed for an R also work for an S? It seems that way? Not sure why, but the S model is left out regarding a number of other parts for some reason (most of the stuff I see is for an R or C). Just as an example, the S isn't listed on the Corbin site. Seems like a good thing to confirm before spending real money.

I'm really liking the idea of an Ultimate, but a little torn as to which. You see, I'm not really interested in sitting lower (I'm still getting used to sitting low as it is compared to the other bikes) but not sure if the Big Boy is too much? I go 6' and 200 lb with a 34" inseam. One complaint about the stock seat is it seems to crowd me forward a little too much, so anything allowing a little more stretch out is welcome, as is feedback anyone with either the Low Rider or Big Boy and how it fits them.

Thanks (in advance)!

·
Registered
793 Posts
The big boy on my 07 1300r raised me couple inches and set me back a couple inches. my arms felt short with the big boy , I put some up 2 " and back 2" risers (cheepies off ebay)on the handlebars and I've been perfect ever since . I am 6-2 about 275lbs.33 inseam . I really love the ultimate seat . I do feel like I stretch out on the bike , legs . .. I liked the way the stock seat put me down in the bike but it killed my back.. EO

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes R/T/S are the same bike, the S just has spoked wheels.

I am 6'2" 213 lbs, I ended up with tennis elbow because of the new seating position with the Ultimate Big Boy with back rest. What happened was, I didn't realize that the adjustment of the backrest moved over time, and I went on a 900+ mile trip with it putting my arm straight out.

After I got back, I realized it and adjusted it so I am sitting more upright. I suggest if you do go big boy (I would suggest you do get the big boy), be sure to get the back rest, and adjust it so you are sitting upright, and/or get pull back risers.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is hugely helpful guys, just the kind of knowledge/experiences I was looking for. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
737 Posts
This is hugely helpful guys, just the kind of knowledge/experiences I was looking for. Much appreciated.
The main reason I say Big Boy, is because it gives you a better leg position when riding. My legs are very comfortable now, and I hardly need to use my engine guard mounted highway pegs. Before the Ultimate, I was always trying to move my legs to get comfortable.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The main reason I say Big Boy, is because it gives you a better leg position when riding. My legs are very comfortable now, and I hardly need to use my engine guard mounted highway pegs. Before the Ultimate, I was always trying to move my legs to get comfortable.

I'm glad I raised the question. In reading what's on the Ultimate site, it struck me that the perfect seat was probably somewhere between the two, though the Big Boy seems a bit closer to what I want to achieve. The bike has floorboards, also an adjustment for me, but I love 'em.

Is it safe to assume 2" up and back risers don't require any cable/line changes?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pretty sure the only difference between the R and S is the wheels.

Thanks for this, good to know. I'm still learning. It's amazing how many parts selectors tell me it won't fit my bike, solely because the S wasn't in their system. I'm looking at it and thinking, yes, it has to fit my bike. :grin2:

·
Old Goat
25,146 Posts
Ive got the big boy.....6’1” 210......risers 2up/2 back ....I know its asking a lot to invest in a Ultimate....but its the only seat u need ...unless a DayLong and that is cost prohibitive.....good luck

Reactions: rwantin

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ive got the big boy.....6’1” 210......risers 2up/2 back ....I know its asking a lot to invest in a Ultimate....but its the only seat u need ...unless a DayLong and that is cost prohibitive.....good luck

Appreciate another endorsement. Good to know. Yeah, it's a bit of scratch, but I already enjoy riding the thing, and anything that makes the ride better is probably worth it.

Reactions: TennX

·
Old Goat
25,146 Posts
Appreciate another endorsement. Good to know. Yeah, it's a bit of scratch, but I already enjoy riding the thing, and anything that makes the ride better is probably worth it.
Save the stocker and God Forbid u sell the X...u might recoup some of the cost if needed ....:thumbup:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Appreciate another endorsement. Good to know. Yeah, it's a bit of scratch, but I already enjoy riding the thing, and anything that makes the ride better is probably worth it.[/QUOTE

You can buy the Ultimate seats one part at a time, if you look on their website, it cost the same to buy it one piece at a time except maybe for shipping.

I am 6' 165#, I ride a mid-rider on C model bike. For me, it is way better than the Mustang wide touring.

·
Registered
793 Posts
If you went any more than 2" up 2" back the stock throttle cables will be to short. When I turn all the way to the left I can see the throttle cables would be to short if I went any more on riser change. 2007r 1300 .eo

·
Registered
6,261 Posts
Another option...

Have you considered getting your current seat modified? I've had two seats modified by Mean City Cycles and I saved a ton of $$ and am very pleased with the results.

They can cut your seat to sit your further back too.

Mean City has a fantastic reputation with members on our site. :firstplace:

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm 6' 1" and 208 lbs. The Ultimate lo rider seat works for me. I didn't have to add risers to get the bars adjusted. You'll sit a little lower than the oem seat but I think you'll like it.

My 2 cents.

G

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm 6' 1" and 208 lbs. The Ultimate lo rider seat works for me. I didn't have to add risers to get the bars adjusted. You'll sit a little lower than the oem seat but I think you'll like it.

My 2 cents.

G
Have you tried an X with the Big Boy? To see which is more comfortable for your legs?

I ask, because with the stock seat I felt like my knees were too high in reference to my thighs.

·
Registered
886 Posts
A short cautionary tail.

I'm 6'2" and 240lb. My Big Boy Ultimate had the drivers backrest and NO passenger pillion. After 3 years and 35K miles the seat pan did crack enough to cause the backrest to move back about an inch. It was adjustable but still not comfortable so I contacted Ultimate. Ultimate DID warranty the pan and replaced it at no cost other than shipping to them. I got the feeling, though, that Ultimate may not have pans available in the future for a bike that's out of production for 10 years. Or at least may not have the pans on hand.

Before the 1800 I had a 1300 with a Mustang "touring" seat AND passenger pillion. Both seats together had 9" of backrest making the Mustang my favorite choice for low back support.

·
Registered
60 Posts
A short cautionary tail.

I'm 6'2" and 240lb. My Big Boy Ultimate had the drivers backrest and NO passenger pillion. After 3 years and 35K miles the seat pan did crack enough to cause the backrest to move back about an inch. It was adjustable but still not comfortable so I contacted Ultimate. Ultimate DID warranty the pan and replaced it at no cost other than shipping to them. I got the feeling, though, that Ultimate may not have pans available in the future for a bike that's out of production for 10 years. Or at least may not have the pans on hand.

Before the 1800 I had a 1300 with a Mustang "touring" seat AND passenger pillion. Both seats together had 9" of backrest making the Mustang my favorite choice for low back support.
I am 6' 4 330 pounds, After about an hour and half of riding the stock seat becomes uncomfortable do you recomend the Mustang seat for long highway trips?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts