Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my new bike but the only thing I am having trouble getting used to is shifting from first to second. I just can't seem to avoid a slight clashing sound when going into second gear. I have tried going slower, faster, double clutching and everything else but I just can't seem to shift quietly into second gear. Is there a remedy?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Not that I know of, its got square cut gears which cause the noise. Going from 2nd to first the noise will be reduced if you wait until your speed is down, going the other way is just going to make noise. Amsoil helps some.

·
Registered
174 Posts
It seems that this is just a characteristic of our bikes. The more I ride, the less I notice it. My Shadow 750 did it, too. As bad as you might think it is; it's not as noticable as a Harley. :shock: :lol:

Mike(planman)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I have seen other hondas and they do the same think. When I change my oil I think the noise reduces. Also I think synthetic reduces the noise even more. The clutch and tranny are wet..

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Clunk

The Clunk is just your Xs way of telling you when you are in (or out) of first gear. Strangely, I like it now that I'm used to it.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Someone had posted that if you wait untill your speed is below 15mph to downshift to 1st you will not get the clunk.

I tried it and he was right. The upshift is a little harder, if you finess it and perfectly match revs it will slide right into second. I usually don't worry about and it and just upshift into second.

Besides, its the bikes way of telling you you made it into second gear and didn't accidentally stop in neutral.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Get some HK's. You will never hear the klunk again.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
Van said:
I love my new bike but the only thing I am having trouble getting used to is shifting from first to second. I just can't seem to avoid a slight clashing sound when going into second gear. I have tried going slower, faster, double clutching and everything else but I just can't seem to shift quietly into second gear. Is there a remedy?
Van Dude, Welcome to the Electronic Here.
Here's some 411 for shifting this bike. If you will hesitate at nuetral while upshifting, those gears line up and it goes into second with only a click. for downshifting a little throttle blip and hand/shifter foot coordination does wonders.
I just turned 20000 and everthing works better than new. It might be true that the engine is broken in at the factory but everything else is stiff.
My advice is put fifty bucks in your pocket and go riding all day, learn what that bike wants you to do, get to know it. Run it out of fuel on the main just to see how far you can go and what it feels like to run out at speed and then take it another 20miles on reserve to see you can do that.
OK go have fun and learn.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:

·
Registered
40 Posts
RobT said:
Van said:
Van Dude, Welcome to the Electronic Here.
Here's some 411 for shifting this bike. If you will hesitate at nuetral while upshifting, those gears line up and it goes into second with only a click. for downshifting a little throttle blip and hand/shifter foot coordination does wonders.
I just turned 20000 and everthing works better than new. It might be true that the engine is broken in at the factory but everything else is stiff.
My advice is put fifty bucks in your pocket and go riding all day, learn what that bike wants you to do, get to know it. Run it out of fuel on the main just to see how far you can go and what it feels like to run out at speed and then take it another 20miles on reserve to see you can do that.
OK go have fun and learn.
As Always Peaceful Cruisin'
BLACK POWER
:tools1:
Great advice. Thanks, Now I have a plan for the weekend. I know the upshifting works, I'm going to work on the downshifting now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts