Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the real reason for the uneven tire wear? My front tire is worn at least 50% more on the left side. I think the dealers "road crown theory" is B.S. They told me that all bikes do this, so I looked at some of the bikes that were in for service (various makes and models) and most of them had EVEN wear. I mentioned this to the service guys and they became smart asses and basically blew me off. Now my bike is out of warranty. Is this a fixable issue or is it just a design flaw? Thanks.

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Frame geometry and weight bias has a lot to do with it - I don't believe it to be a design flaw or a defect. Most of the X's I have seen who ride hard have that same wear pattern - nothing out of the ordinary for this bike.

My advice its to ride and enjoy - when the tires are worn out....replace them.

Peace 8)

·
Registered
794 Posts
A gold wing buddy of mine said its the tread design of the Dulopes. He bought a new wing last year and the front tire is wore off on the left side and he said his buddies with wings had the same problem until they switched to Metzlers. Has any one noticed this wear problem on other than Dunlopes???

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
two schools of thought
one is Road crown causes it
the other is different turning radius
asking someone in the UK might dispell the roadcrown theory if theirs wears on the oppisite side.

you do tend to turn harder to the left than the right at intersections.

I do know if you let go of the handle bars you will drift to the right, so poison has a good train of thought also, brake rotors both on rt, exhaust on right ect.

have not heard a conclusion to this question in over a year now. but it aint just the X's that wear on the left side of center.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My original Duns lasted 18000 miles till I had both replaced, now at 26000 my rear is bald and the front looks fine :?: :?: :?: . Had the uneven wear pattern of the front tire in Florida but not here in North Carolina :?: .

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
RetroCycle said:
My original Duns lasted 18000 miles till I had both replaced, now at 26000 my rear is bald and the front looks fine :?: :?: :?: . Had the uneven wear pattern of the front tire in Florida but not here in North Carolina :?: .
do you ever turn a corner with that bike? or do they just have straight intersections in NC? and should I bring up the burn out questions here?
:D :D :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
Brunout :?: :twisted: not me hehe. Yeah this part of NC is flat, low, and wet. I thought is was a bad (ie soft) tire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts