Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Riders,

A little advice would be welcome.

I love the VTX1800 ride,, except when tooling along at very slow speeds (< 15 MPH).

Slightest touch of the throttle gives a sudden jump. It's no big deal if you work the clutch but I was hoping that some one would know if this is typical or an adjustment can help.

Take off from a stop is no problem. Cruising slow and wanting to pick up a little speed without being thrown back or needing to ride the clutch would be a plus.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Welcome to fuel injection and torque. It will take a bit to get used to the throttle response, it is just a very torquey/responsive engine. 8)

·
Super Moderator
63,762 Posts
Welcome to the board!
Bookmark this website, http://tech.vtxoa.com This is the sister site to this message board and contains all your How-to/Tips/Tricks/Why’s and links to other helpful sites for your new VTX.
There is also a helpful red Search icon at the top of every page(not the Google search). Enter your item to be searched in the "Search Query" section and click the "Search for all terms" bullet under the query. Then go to the "Search Options" section and choose a board from the "Forum" drop down menu. This will limit the results to your search so you won't get pages of "Fluff" .

The pupose of the "Search" is to offer a member the opportunity to research his/her question better. There is so much information from past threads that you may never see because that member is no longer here, or doesn't see your new post, or just won't respond to the same question. So use it to your advantage and enjoy the board! View this funny and informative film about posting and searching…
http://uploads.ungrounded.net/188000/188612_Posting.swf

Also, take a few minutes to familiarize yourself with the forum. At the top of every board there are threads that are tagged as "Sticky" These threads are "Sticky" because they contain very important/valuable information about the VTX and everyone should read them.
The thread at the top of the 1800 tech board called, "Air, Fuel, Motors..." will answer most of the performance questions...
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28918

Also, update your Profile to include what type X you have to your Signature line. I.E. 1300/1800/C/F/N/R/S.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I could be that they push, pull cables are adjusted too tight.... :shock:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
It helps to keep her in the highest gear possible. But she's still a beast, enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have the stock exhaust or a modified stocker/aftermarket? I performed the Riley mod on my stocker before going with the HardKromes. With the modified stocker, it greatly increased the "jerkiness" at very slow speeds. Must be a back pressure thing. It's much better now with the HK 3"'s.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Gas, clutch, balance, ride & confidence. Love the beast and she'll love you back.

·
Registered
679 Posts
rbarranco said:
Hey Riders,

I love the VTX1800 ride,, except when tooling along at very slow speeds (< 15 MPH).

Slightest touch of the throttle gives a sudden jump. It's no big deal if you work the clutch but I was hoping that some one would know if this is typical or an adjustment can help.

Take off from a stop is no problem. Cruising slow and wanting to pick up a little speed without being thrown back or needing to ride the clutch would be a plus.

If you are putting around between 10 and 15 mph, try shifting into 2nd.

Another thing you might try is adjusting your idle up a little bit. That's a little trick I learned from a motor cop. He rode in a lot of parades.

You are definitely going to have to get accustomed to the low end torque of this very large engined motorcycle. This is not a scooter for cruising around the campgrounds. It is at home on the freeway at maximum legal speeds.

8)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
rbarranco said:
Hey Riders,

you might want to check and see if there is any slack in the throttle cables. Try removing it if there is.

Hope this helps,

D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
jumpy throttle

mxzxrider said:
Do you have the stock exhaust or a modified stocker/aftermarket? I performed the Riley mod on my stocker before going with the HardKromes. With the modified stocker, it greatly increased the "jerkiness" at very slow speeds. Must be a back pressure thing. It's much better now with the HK 3"'s.
RB> All stock (2005). I've heard about people adding an after market electronic fuel injection upgrade to smooth out the "putting along" ride which is a rarity except when heading home through the neighborhood or stuck in crawling traffic.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

O

·
0 Posts
I had the same problem. It was much improved when I bought a new PC3 and downloaded a map from Bare's website.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I second RdRider's comment about the PC3, even with a stock map. I've lowered the idle, adjusted the slack in the throttle cable, installed Progressive fork springs. Nothing made as much difference as the PC3 for me -- but even that is subtle. Don't expect dramatic dramatic improvement.

A lot of things have been tried to tame the beast, even swapping the front tire for the narrower 1300 wheel. Some performance pipes increase top-end hp at the expense of a little less low-end torque. But, hey, torque is what the 1800 is all about. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
throttle response

The abrupt throttle response is just part of the honda fuel injection. Almost every magazine article written on the 1800 model talks about the lack of smoothness at low speed. This is really the only complaint I have with my vtx, hard to believe that honda with all its engineers cannot devise a smoother injection system. I know after test riding that victory has-but im still not giving up my honda any time soon.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Re: throttle response

rsamuels1 said:
The abrupt throttle response is just part of the honda fuel injection. Almost every magazine article written on the 1800 model talks about the lack of smoothness at low speed. This is really the only complaint I have with my vtx, hard to believe that honda with all its engineers cannot devise a smoother injection system. I know after test riding that victory has-but im still not giving up my honda any time soon.
It's not that it isn't a smooth injection system, the motor just responds instantaneously to any throttle input. Then with all that torque right there at the bottom end, ya break ya neck!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts