Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone!

My grandpa just passed down his garage kept 2004 VTX 1300 to me. It was serviced 500 miles ago, which was 6 YEARS AGO! What all should I service/change?

He replaced the battery before he gave it to me. It had 3,000 miles when I got it and it started up and ran fine. Only thing is it needed to warm up with the choke for about 30 seconds or it will die sitting at idle. I replaced the tires right away due to a bald spot. I wasn’t informed that it hadn’t been service until I put at 350 miles on it. During that time it’s rode great! I’m thinking just the oil and running Sea Foam through the fuel system. I called my local service center and they told me it’s going to be 5 weeks before they can even look at it, so I’ll just do it all myself. This is my daily mode of transportation so I came to a location of experts to help me out.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Plant

·
Super Moderator
64,582 Posts
I would change all the fluids after sitting 5 years. If you're going to run something through the fuel tank, use Techron Fuel System cleaner. It works far better than Seafoam and is recommended by Honda and many other vehicle manufacturers for that job.

Fluids to change;
Coolant = 1 gallon 50/50 mix use NON Silicate type
Oil = 4qts and there are 2 drain plugs!
Brake = less than 2 qts

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome to the club!
Nice bike, congratulations on the acquisition.

I am very surprised that the bike runs with no problems after sitting for 5 years with Ethanol fuel in it. Unless your grampa is a smart man and did not put Ethanol poison in his tank. Or maybe he shut off the petcock and drained the carb for storage?

I agree with Spike, oil change would be prudent after 5 years. There are TWO drain bolts in the pan, don't forget. And you check the oil level with the bike UPRIGHT and the dipstick sitting on the threads, not threaded in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks! Is there anything else I should look for? Like lubricating cables, cleaning switches, or spark plugs? Also, this is my first shaft driven motorcycle. Is there any special upkeep maintenance that’s required for a shaft like there is for a chain driven a motorcycle?

·
Super Moderator
64,582 Posts
The shaft is maintenance free, the final drive does have gear lube in it that can be changed(I forgot about that ) it uses a little over 2 ounces of 75-90 gear lube.

Cables, for me, I would get a new clutch cable rather than have it snap when I'm 100 miles into a ride. I then have always treated them as a wearable item and put a new clutch cable on every 2 years.

Plugs should be fine, especially after running a bottle of Techron through the tank. BTW, split that 12 ounce bottle over 2 or 3 tank fill-ups

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
I replaced the rear diff gear oil with every oil change. Too cheap and easy not to.

·
Registered
11,859 Posts
Howdy from Texas and welcome to the club!
Nice bike, congratulations on the acquisition.

I am very surprised that the bike runs with no problems after sitting for 5 years with Ethanol fuel in it. Unless your grampa is a smart man and did not put Ethanol poison in his tank. Or maybe he shut off the petcock and drained the carb for storage?

I agree with Spike, oil change would be prudent after 5 years. There are TWO drain bolts in the pan, don't forget. And you check the oil level with the bike UPRIGHT and the dipstick sitting on the threads, not threaded in.
Once you have changed the oil and topped it off incl. new filter, lean the bike onto the KS and note where it comes to on the dipstick, and using a small file, cut a mark to show the full line. This makes it easy to check w/o having to hold it upright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.