Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
am i missing something with the VTX when it comes to servicing? i normally do my own servicing but for the forseable future i am working 12 hours a day, 10 on then 1 off so i am not getting the time to do it, i have rung around for quotes and they are all sky high £180.00 plus ($255.00) is there something extra difficult with servicing the VTX?

·
Old Goat
26,190 Posts
Not on this side of the pond that I know of…but I would imagine shop labor might be costly…a lot of us do our own work like u…good luck

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
am i missing something with the VTX when it comes to servicing? i normally do my own servicing but for the forseable future i am working 12 hours a day, 10 on then 1 off so i am not getting the time to do it, i have rung around for quotes and they are all sky high £180.00 plus ($255.00) is there something extra difficult with servicing the VTX?
What specifically did you ask them to service? Here they charge $120+ for synthetic oil changes alone (takes 15 mins to do, and you don't even need a stand, just a low profile oil pan).

I can do an oil change myself for about $60 in synthetic oil + filter and drop off the used oil for free at the same shop. (4x $12 per quart for Mobil 1 4T oil + about $10 for Honda civic oil filter)

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
What specifically did you ask them to service? Here they charge $120+ for synthetic oil changes alone (takes 15 mins to do, and you don't even need a stand, just a low profile oil pan).
Yep, shop labor is ri-donk-u-lous! DIY whenever possible. Or put the word out looking for, or host for yourself, a tech session with other VTX folks to get the work done free except for parts. Learn about the bike from like-minded owners, make new friends. Don't be afraid to reach out.

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
Maybe they just don't want to service you?
I was in Bangor Maine 5000 miles into a 7200 mile trip a few weeks ago. My hotel was only a block away from a Honda dealer, so I asked for an oil change. Basically the answer was a polite 'go F yourself'.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was in a time crunch before a recent trip and took mine for a service, $220 later o_Oand just a oil n filter change and safety checkover. From now on I will plan my time better:rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
I was in a time crunch before a recent trip and took mine for a service, $220 later o_Oand just a oil n filter change and safety checkover. From now on I will plan my time better:rolleyes:
Yeah......a big hit in the wallet is a GREAT teacher!

·
Premium Member
3,082 Posts
I am starting to get to the point where I realize I have no choice but to put some effort into learning about some basic maintenance and small repairs. The dealer where I bought my bike 11 years ago is starting to deliver lower quality work than I have been used to. Last Saturday I did get my oil change and was told by the shop manager "oops, the new tires we mounted five weeks ago and you did your 7200 mile trip on, we mounted them in the wrong direction. We'll fix it right away".
And doing that they f'ed up my front brakes and I now have damage on my front rotor, hearing a 'screech' every rotation. They'll get a phone call as soon as they open today.

·
Super Moderator
64,170 Posts
You're paying for the time and the cost of schooling the techs in that hourly labor quote so yeah they are always going to be expensive. Change your own oil, minimal tools and time required to do so. Doing the coolant is a little harder, more time as you have to drain/flush then refill warm engine and burp the system. Brakes a bit more difficult and time consuming to flush and bleed the system.

Go here, read how to do all the jobs you're looking to get done. Pick and choose what you can or want to do and then bring the bike in for the other jobs;

·
Registered
946 Posts
Maybe they just don't want to service you?
I was in Bangor Maine 5000 miles into a 7200 mile trip a few weeks ago. My hotel was only a block away from a Honda dealer, so I asked for an oil change. Basically the answer was a polite 'go F yourself'.
Carry tools and a oil filter if you are on a long trip for when it's time to change oil. Buy oil from parts store and a cheap plastic pan from a dollar store when the time comes on the trip. Go after hours to closed dealer change your oil there on the side of the shop. Leave your old oil filter and old oil in the pan there, they'll have to dispose it. LOL

·
Registered
436 Posts
There should be no excuses with all the youtube videos out there. Pair that with a manual and you got it. Everyone should know the basics like oil changes. It's more of a inconvenience to schedule appointments and take it in than to take 10-15 min. and do it yourself

·
Registered
9,642 Posts
Carry tools and a oil filter if you are on a long trip for when it's time to change oil. Buy oil from parts store and a cheap plastic pan from a dollar store when the time comes on the trip. Go after hours to closed dealer change your oil there on the side of the shop. Leave your old oil filter and old oil in the pan there, they'll have to dispose it. LOL
When the cameras record you on the premesis you can explain to the cops while you are emptying your wallet for fines.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all, done it myself in the end, as i said it's not that i cant do it, i just didn't have the time, up 04:00 to see to my disabled son (i'm a single parent to a disabled son) he goes off to day care, i go off to work, home by 6pm to see to my son, cook, clean washing.... well you get the picture.

anyway, bikes going up for sale as i'm just not impressed with it compared to my Triumph Thunderbird.

thanks again for all the replys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts