Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any tips for sewing on a one piece back patch? I know of only one person in my area (Iron Mountain/Kingsford, UP, Mi) that does it and the results on my MCoC patch....not so great. I'd rather not bring it to the same chick.

I did a search but didn't find anything local. Sorry if I missed it though.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Yep... a shoe cobbler can do it, mine charges $5 a patch

·
Old Goat
25,632 Posts
I take mine to a luggage repair shop, I only wish they charged $5.00 a patch.:dontknow:

·
Registered
12,473 Posts
I have a really nice leather riding jacket - also a patch or two I want to wear.

I don't care how good a job they do, IMO sewing patches onto that jacket would do it harm.

I opted instead for a lightweight oversized vest, I attach the patch/patches to the vest and wear it over the jacket.

If you're a 'colors' person, you could get several vests ... so when you travel into one colors territory you can dress appropriately! :D

In reality I think, to do it right they would have to cut/remove any lining, sew on the patch to the leather and they reattach the lining.

·
Registered
316 Posts
An upholsterer or furniture repair person can do it as well.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Most rallies and/or bike shows will have a vender present that can sew on patches also.

At least that is how it is down this way during rally season.

Tejas

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
i would only put patches and such on a vest you can take off
if needed ...

seldom happens (never in my lifetime) but some wanna-be
may take exception to the most innocent thing and then
you're riding home in a t-shirt because he's mauling your jacket.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Are there any tips for sewing on a one piece back patch? I know of only one person in my area (Iron Mountain/Kingsford, UP, Mi) that does it and the results on my MCoC patch....not so great. I'd rather not bring it to the same chick.

I did a search but didn't find anything local. Sorry if I missed it though.
Nylon thread, and the smallest needle possible, so if you ever remove them, it will be hardly noticeable. Also use a wide stitch pattern. Also if they are iron on type, it is a good idea to do both. Iron and sew.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't imagine wearing my jacket AND a vest. The heat's gotta be crazy in the summertime.

Or am I wrong on that?

·
Registered
885 Posts
Got a little retired lady in Middlesboro, Ky sews any small patch for $1 and any other for $5. She says she don't really need the money, just wants the help out the nice fellows riding bikes. She does a lot of alterations for some of the clothing stores in and around Middlesboro. I have only had her do 1 so far but it turned out great. All the fellows I know take their stuff to her. I have never heard of anyone giving her only what she charges, always a good tip in there just for the gesture. A good deed begets a good deed!:cool:

T

·
0 Posts
The leather shop a go to has a spray they use to keep patch in place until it is sew on.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Because a jacket has better protection in case of slide/fall/etc. I guess I'm more on the cautious side?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
The leather shop a go to has a spray they use to keep patch in place until it is sew on.
I use Tacky Glue, available at any fabric store or Wally World. I glue it where I want it, that avoids mistakes by the seamstress/tailor.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I decided against the back patch. I just went with a shoulder patch to show my support for: ABATE of Michigan and MCoC. I did find someone locally who does the patches who isn't the original woman I was talking about. Thanks for all the tips!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts