Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a new bike, hopefully by the end of the month, and the vtx1300 is on the top of my list, but I'm also considering the sabre.

I'm looking for something that get good gas milage, is reliable and agile. Those things are more important than power, but I want something that will still hold its own on the highway and also be able to run two up with bags from time to time and not feel overloaded. The 1300 seemed like a good compromise but I would prefer lighter for my first bike although I think I can handle the 1300 just fine (please no telling the 1300 is to big for a first bike, I heard enough of it from another thread). I am considering the sabe as it cost almost $1000 less and is almost 100 pounds lighter. I have also heard that it has the power of a much larger engine, and hell, its only 200cc smaller than the 1300...

Has anyone had any experiece with this bike? Is it stable at highway speed and have plenty of power for it? I think the 1300 looks better, but if the 1100 is comparable than I may consider it for the price and weight difference.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I started out on a Sabre. Good looking, dependable bike. No valve adjustments and is maintenance free (just change the oil and ride). It handled very well and I really didn't need to step up to the 1800 like I thought I needed to. I am a bigger man, but the Sabre would have been enough. It is very comparable with the 1300 after you factor in the weight to horsepower. It runs identical 1/4 mile times and tops out at about 110 mph.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I'm getting a new bike, hopefully by the end of the month, and the vtx1300 is on the top of my list, but I'm also considering the sabre.

I'm looking for something that get good gas milage, is reliable and agile. Those things are more important than power, but I want something that will still hold its own on the highway and also be able to run two up with bags from time to time and not feel overloaded. The 1300 seemed like a good compromise but I would prefer lighter for my first bike although I think I can handle the 1300 just fine (please no telling the 1300 is to big for a first bike, I heard enough of it from another thread). I am considering the sabe as it cost almost $1000 less and is almost 100 pounds lighter. I have also heard that it has the power of a much larger engine, and hell, its only 200cc smaller than the 1300...

Has anyone had any experiece with this bike? Is it stable at highway speed and have plenty of power for it? I think the 1300 looks better, but if the 1100 is comparable than I may consider it for the price and weight difference.
I gave this bike some serious thought but did not like the straight handlebars & was told it would be costly to replace them & all of the cables since there is not enough slack in the stock cables to use a pullback bar.

Bought the VTX - no regrets

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
We have a Shadow Sabre in the family and I really like it. It may be the most maintenance free motorcycle ever built? Drive the speed limit and you will get from 48-52 mpg. I have always had a passenger when I rode it so never took it over 100mph, but it was smooth up to 100 and has plenty of power. sb

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
I have both. (And both are for sale) Sabre is a great bike. Handles very easy. Great in the twisties. Plenty of power. The 1300VTX has more power, but is a tad heavier in the turns. Both are excellent bikes. The VTX does have a bit more leg room.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
I looked at them, nice bike, I hadnt been on a bike for over 35 years and I knew me I just went ahead and skip a step and got the 1300 no regrets, good luck on your choice and stay safe. :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I've owned two of them. One was the American Classic Edition. Loved them both. You can't go wrong with the Sabre. Plenty of power and very agile.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Had a Sabre before the 1800. Great bike and also has a great forum like this one for support. It did get a lot better gas milage!! But like said here you can't go wrong with either. Not as many aftermarket parts for the Sabre,but if you get creative parts from other bikes work well. I had VTX parts,and even yes hate to say it Harley risers and floorboards on mine. Here's a pic!

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Sabre is a great bike!

I have A 2001 Sabre 40,000 miles on it in my garage
Along with my 2005 1800F 20,000 miles on it
I test ride all the bikes I can I have not been on the 1300 VTX yet.
Never let engine CC scare you. Fit and Form the bike must fit you.
I am a Big Guy the 1800cc fits me almost J

The Sabre is a great bike
Light easy to handle
About 55 HP, top speed 136ish
Gas mileage at 100 mph 23mpg
At 55 mph easy throttle 50mpg
The best I ever seen was 65Mpg and 21mpg the worst
I love the sabre rims but so does the wind.

Tires
After you burn off the Dunphlops put on metz880 you will get 15,000 out of the rear and 25,000 out of the front.

This is a quick 1100cc cruiser.
In 2001 It was faster then these factory bikes.
Kawasaki Mean streak 1500CC
Victory’s Motorcycle 1500CC
Most Harleys 1450CC
Per the magizines test reports.

I personal have raced theses bikes and there where modifided and still bet them with the sabre.
My Harley riding buds hate my Sabre. (Old Blue)

Do not pipe or Jet it. you will loose power on the sabre
After I piped and jetted it my top speed was about 123mph

That being said
I can only imagine the 1300Vtx is a Great bike with more power.

Now for the 1800F
I love the power of the 1800
I love the brakes on the 1800
Fuel injection a must have for me.
I miss the parking lot agility of the Sabre.
But out on the highway and in the curves both are very agile bikes.

It’s a Honda there All great bikes J

·
Registered
363 Posts
i don`t own a vtx but have ridden a friends 1300 for many miles. i have,and still do have,several of the sabre based engine combo bikes. they are great man. gas mileage in the 50s per gal., very flickable,not too heavy,work great for touring duty or around town. like others said,change the oil,tires once in a while, and run the guts out of it.

me (on an 1100 shadow i still have) and my friend with the vtx have drag raced for fun several times.we are about the same size and my 1100 will just barely edge out his 1300 every time.

i also have a victory tc but many times,you`ll still find me riding the 1100 shadow.they are really versatile bikes:thumbup:

·
Registered
621 Posts
My son had the Sabre. I have the VTX 1300 I will say there about equal in the speed department. However there seems to be more room on the X. he also stated on the hi way it didn't feel as stable as the X. Another factor is the after market equipment is more available for the X. Wile the X is heaver most of the weight is low so it's less noticeable. Another thing to think about is the fact that I believe Honda is discontinuing the Shadow line.

·
Registered
877 Posts
my brother got a 2006 1100 new.after riding my 1300 he's kicking himself for not getting a 1300.you need to ride each one for you to tell.for me the 1300 is easier even with 200 lbs. more.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Never rode a Sabre, so I can't say yay or nay about them.

Just wanted to add to the thread that my VTX1300 was my first bike ever, and as long as you are careful and take your time learning it isn't too big of a first bike.

Had a lot of people telling me to get something smaller to start with and upgrade later, glad I didn't. I like the looks of the VTX over the Shadows, and wouldn't have really been happy if I had bought a smaller bike. (Not knocking the Shadows, just personal preference based purely on looks.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Had a Sabre before the 1800. Great bike and also has a great forum like this one for support. It did get a lot better gas milage!! But like said here you can't go wrong with either. Not as many aftermarket parts for the Sabre,but if you get creative parts from other bikes work well. I had VTX parts,and even yes hate to say it Harley risers and floorboards on mine. Here's a pic!
What pipes are those?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I had a Sabre for a few years before my 1800. Great bike. Very good on the fuel and plenty of power down low. Highways need a little more thought when overtaking.

The bike is comfy to ride and the weight is very easy to move around (just don't lay it down). The only problem I had was when I was trying to put in an aftermarket jet kit. The problem was that jets used in Australia were different to the ones in the US so I ended up taking a step back.

It was said earlier that rejetting and changing the pipes wasn't a good move. I disagree. I put on some V&H Longshots and a K&N air filter. I noticed a big change in acceleration and top speed and both for the better. Like any bike some pipes will make it worse and other will make it better.

You can pick up a good Sabre much cheaper than a 1300. I'd go with the Sabre and use the cash you saved for some mods like grips, pipes, air filter and some new tyres.

Good luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts