Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have an 07 1300 and she has been acting up lately particularly in the mornings. I live in the SF Bay area and lately, the mornings have been a bit cold with more moisture. Moisture I mean morning dew. When I start her up, she cranks and growls for about a minute then shuts down. For the past several weeks, she starts up just fine and runs nicely. Just lately she has behaved differently. When the day warms up, she starts up and runs nicely again.
I don't get it. When she runs, she runs and I enjoy the time riding. But with this kind of intermittent behavior, I don't feel very confident riding her away from home. I have checked all the hoses for possible leaks due to temperature changes (warm/cold etc.) She has plenty of new gas and the battery is fairly new. I verified that the a/f mixture screw is 1.75 turns. Does she need to be richer but then she has the potential to backfire more. Please help. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
Welcome...bikes are cold natured...are u using the choke at all...mine runs better with a/f at 2 1/2.....others will be along....good luck

·
Registered
219 Posts
I have an '04 1300c and it gets really cold here. I ride all winter and did not go more than 2 or so weeks last winter, riding when it was dry and no snow.

My bike is cold natured. I have never let it bother me and simply pull the choke all the way, let it warm up in the amount of time it takes to put on my helmet and close the garage door, then I ride. I generally go a mile or three before I push the choke back all the way in. My choke will actually go about half way in on its own, I assume due to vibration when riding. Once I have it warmed up, it runs great.

But, if I push the choke in too quick, it will die if I stop and try to let it idle without giving it a little bit of fuel.

But, once it's warmed up, it idles fine.

This bike likes to be really warm and that takes it a little time here.

I have never considered that to be an issue simply because it is a carburetor after all.

Fuel injection does not have the same issue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks folks for the reply. I will try the a/f setting to 2 1/2. I try not to use the choke because on another thread it mentions that the plugs will foul quickly. Oh well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
309 Posts
the plugs will not foul quickly if you use the choke.
that is what its there for...cold startups.
i use mine every time i start the bike when its stone cold,,never had an issue.
misinformation.

·
Registered
219 Posts
You can use the choke when you start it and warm it up. Just shouldn't ride it with the choke on
I don't ride far at all with the choke partially out. I estimated a mile or three because I was not sure how far it was to the last stop sign before the 4 lane road. Turns out it is just over 1 mile.

It takes that long to get it warm as I don't sit long in my driveway.

Once the bike is warm, it runs great. It actually runs OK cold, it just doesn't want to idle cold without the choke on.

And, there is nothing worse than stalling at a stop sign with people behind you! Around here, they are liable to run over you in their haste.

·
Old Goat
25,002 Posts
As mention choke/warm up while getting ready to saddle up...I live on a circle....usually take a few turns around it before “I get my motor running,head out on the Highway”..:grin2: and I’m always looking for adventure.....good luck OP.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
6,173 Posts
Consider a SCAR MOD

I've owned no less than 13 street bikes over my lifetime and honestly when I first purchased my VTX 1300 it was the first bike I experienced frustration with concerning how 'cold blooded' it is, and I live in Sunny Southern California. I don't want my bike to even 'hiccup' a little, so after some reading of the forums here on solutions I did the SCAR mod and it made a HUGE difference in how fast the bike warms up even on frosty fog breath mornings (yes, we get them here).

There used to be a step-by-step with photos on how to do the mod (looked but couldn't find it) but I'll put in the YouTube video to get you started and maybe some other member can guide you to the step-by-step. Essentially the SCAR mod involves pulling out a main needle in your carb and modifying it so it sits higher in the Carb throat allowing more gas flow at the lower RPMs. I personally found that my bike not only warmed up much faster, (usually without the need for the enrichment knob) but the throttle response was better hot or cold in the lower revs. Get a can of SEAFOAM and follow the directions as the additive helps if you just have a little bad gas in your tank/carb. Do a Google search for VTXOA SCAR MOD and read what comes up for more details about it.

Good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome replies. Thanks everyone. I had since adjusted the A/F to 2.5 turns and use of the choke when starting it. If starting the first thing in the morning full choke for a couple of minutes then slowly push the choke in until she idles on her own. The bit about plugs fouling...i thought as much it could be misinformation. Like it was mentioned, why is it there then? But now she is slipping a little and needing to change clutch (that's on another thread). Love riding her though. Thanks for the tips folks. Happy riding and stay safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts