Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lovely wife completed a riders safety course and got her license two weeks ago. Friday, she rented a Sportser 1200 from the local HD dealer, the only palce in town that rents bikes (they also gave the riders safety course). She and the HD guy picked the Sportster because she wanted something light since she was afraid of a heavier bike. Well today we had planned a little two hour ride through the county so she could learn more about handling the bike. While we were gassing up at the start of the ride, we met a group of other bikers who said they were going thru the same area we planned to go and we could ride with them. One thing led to another and SIX HOURS later we were home. I had my six year old son with me on my 1800 and the trip was fun. However... my beautiful wife was nearly beat and rattled to death on that light Sportster. I'm not saying anything was funny about her facial expressions and choice remarks about the bike, but I dont think she will be riding one of those EVER again. She wants a heavier (and lower) bike.

There's nothing wrong with HD, but that bike was not the one for her on this trip. Learned a little something today.

G

·
0 Posts
1200 Sportster

Hey Roller,

I rode a buddy's 1200 Sportster and I can agree w/ what your wife went through. And I only rode it for 30 minutes, not several hours!! It was awful, a very choppy ride. Another buddy (who has a 1500 Vulcan Mean Streak) said the same thing about the HD. We both like our bikes - heavier, lower and much smoother rides.

I wouldn't give up my X for anything!

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Remember those HD Sportsters started out as flat track bikes and never have lost that feeling. Just my .02

·
Registered
288 Posts
Next time try renting a Dyna Low-rider. They're a much better bike for a beginner. They handle great. The low rider is heavier than a sportster, but the center of gravity is lower so they don't feel top-heavy. I think the seat height is a little lower also.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We talked about it and she said she won't be riding until the soreness goes away, but when she does go again it will be on a cruiser. She agreed that the low rider or fat boy may be the way to go. She talked to some other female riders who are going to let her ride their bikes. She's getting more interested again.

·
Registered
16,084 Posts
My wife has an 04 Dyna Low rider. It is marginally better than a Sportster. It doesn't shake as bad on the road but after about 70 miles I'm ready to get off it. Nothing is as smooth as an X. I test drove mine before buying it. I drove both models of the 1300 and 1800 in 2002, waited another year and got the 1800C. When she is ready, get her to ride the 1300.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If she is a new rider, I would suggest getting a used Honda Shadow. Low, light, smooth and when it inevitably gets dumped in the driveway or wherever, you won't feel as bad as you would with a new bike.

IMHO opinion, the bigger faster bikes are fun, but while getting started, its more important to be able to focus on the fundamentals of riding.

·
Senior Moments
8,400 Posts
In 2001 I started with an 02 Shadow ACE Deluxe 750. Sweet bike. Balanced just right. In 2003 I moved up to a 1300R/S. But this is her decission to test ride and get what bike makes her comfortable. Tell her good luck in her choice!

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate all the comments and input. We're going to look at the Hondas for sure and see what fits her the best. Used would be even better for now since she is a new rider.

·
Registered
102 Posts
After taking a break to raise our kids I went out and bought two 750 Shadow Spirits last spring. The first nite we both knew we bought too small. I then bought one 1800c to ride two up and she stole it, told me to buy myself one. Which I did two weeks ago after selling the Shadows.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts