Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you normally shift from 1st to 2nd, 2nd to third etc. Are they made to tach right up, for instance shift to second around 25-30 mph? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
REVs

You sure can tach it right up. With my speedometer corrected {speed healer], I can take it to 40 in first and 70 in second. I do hit the rev limiter in first sometimes when I go pass 40 but that's why it's there.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Owner's Manual Shift Points

The owner's manual suggests shift points for maximum fuel efficiency. These seem ridiculously low to me. The owner's manual is in my tool box behind the left side plate, and I'm too lazy to get it out. If my memory serves me right, they're something like 11-19-25-31 mph. These shift points are obviously bare minimum speeds, just fast enough to keep the engine from chugging.

On the high side: My 1300C will go (approximately) 50 in first, 80 in second, 105 in 3rd, and I've never hit the limiter in 4th or 5th. The bike probably won't go that fast. I'm talking STOCK speedometer.
I usually shift at relatively low rpm, but if it looks like I might have to slow down soon, I hold shifting to a minimum, such as in town, from one redlight to the next, etc. This way, there's less wear on the clutch and brakes.

I like smooth shifts, so when time permits I usually let the wheel speed catch up with the rpms and smooth out for a split second before shifting, to lessen the "jerk" when the clutch is engaged/disengaged. This is also a little easier on the clutch because there's less friction.

Shift points are a personal preference, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you know when you hit the rev limit, just by feel?

·
Registered
353 Posts
You'll know

The engine sputters. It's like you turned the switch off until you shift or slow down.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK. Thought so. I was in third today clipping around 80 and felt that, I was like, oh no. LOL.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts