Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005 VTX1800C

Shinko 777 HD tire

Shinko carries a 130/70-18 for the front tire...perfect........since bike calls for a 130/70-18 as standard for front tire.

Shinko carries a 130/65-16 for back tire....however........... the bike calls for a 130/70-16 as standard for back tire

Does the mismatch really matter......so insignificant..... any performance issues .........or not to worry ???

Mismatch meaning 65 vs 70...... ???? Want to stick with same tread design for front and rear tire.

Seems like a good review & a reasonable price point for these tires.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hmmm what bike. I have n 1800 R and mine calls for
Front tire- 150-80-17 Rear tire- 180-70-16
I am
Actually running a 140 in the front as I found one a bit cheaper.
I run metzeler in both.

·
Registered
104 Posts
As with any vehicle, your tire is the last gear in your driveline, so it's going to affect your torque, speed, speedo readings, and rpm. to what extent, it's hard to say. I'd say try it out, and see how you like it. A smaller height will give you more room from the tire to the fender, and, on the back, will lower your back axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
2005 VTX1800C

Shinko 777 HD tire

Shinko carries a 130/70-18 for the front tire...perfect........since bike calls for a 130/70-18 as standard for front tire.

Shinko carries a 130/65-16 for back tire....however........... the bike calls for a 130/70-16 as standard for back tire

Does the mismatch really matter......so insignificant..... any performance issues .........or not to worry ???
I don't think you meant what you typed. That would be a pretty skinny rear tire. Let's assume you meant to say a width of 180mm instead.

In that case, your bike would sit almost 3/8 inch lower in the back. And your rpms for a given speed would increase by 2.7%. Which also means that your speedometer error (which is probably already off by ~8%) would increase by another 2.7%. But this increase would NOT be additive, it would be multiplicative. So... if current error is 8%, then new error would be 8% x 1.027 = 8.22%.

In my judgement, these changes would be hardly noticeable, if at all. No worries at all.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
as stated a 130 on the rear... is an error...
180/70HR-16

my 1800F...

stock is 180/55R 18
I run 200/50R 18... and have for the past 70,000 miles...

my speedometer went from 7% error to 3% error...

remember the middle number is the aspect ratio....

my case 50 aspect ratio of 200..... vers 55 aspect ratio of 180...

small numbers... little difference..

I only use a premium tire ,

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
130 for rear was a typo error........should have been 180........

So Chuck, what premium tires do you run on your F........front and back and sizes......I am interested.....

I am assuming you are not a Shinko fan...

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
130 for rear was a typo error........should have been 180........

So Chuck, what premium tires do you run on your F........front and back and sizes......I am interested.....

I am assuming you are not a Shinko fan...
I have no knowledge about Shinko..
so NO opinion...

50 years in the business... seen many lesser tires fail....
I have no idea where Shinko fits into this..

I only use premium tires. my life depends on it.
392,000 motorcycle miles... over 9 bikes.
my opinion.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
So what brand and sizes do you currently run

Dunlop Elite 4... my choice..

there are other good brands...

remember all brands have good and also Cheap models..

I average 17,000 miles per tire.. past model was Elite 3..

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had the Shinko tires on my 2008 VTX 1800T they only lasted 1500 miles, the rear had a spot about the size of a golf ball that wore through to the core and blew out on while I was driving did everything in my power not to go down. If there would of been another driver behind me they would of run me over.When I had new tires put on the Honda shop said they never seen a tire wear the way it did lucky I didn't kill myself. I have been ridding for over fifty years and that was the only time I blew a tire and I hope the last time, no more Shinko tires to save a few dollar$ I have been running Avon tires now and I like them and they have outlasted any brand I have tried. Stay safe and make good choices with your tires the VTX is a heavy bike and it is hard on tires.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have run 4 sets of Shinkos on my last bike, a 2005 ZX12r ninja. I took that up to 160 gps (in Mexico).

I never have had problems with Shinkos. My xtx1300r came with Shinko 777’s, I got about 7k-8k and had a blowout at 65 mph on my rear tire. I had Ride-On and was safely able to pull over. It was wearing fast, I had maybe another 1000 or so miles left on it. But I can say it was very sticky, so that can account for fast wear.

I replaced the rear with another Shinko 777 and immediately put Ride-On in it. I am now in the process of going darkside, otherwise I would still be using Shinkos.

There can be failures on any tire. Shinkos have made a name for themselves in the drag world. High HP high torque, and they can handle the abuse. They have not been known to have a very rounded profile, so some of their sport bike tires aren’t the best for tracks, but for me I would never drag my pegs on a ninja on the street, just too dangerous especially in an area that uses salt/sand.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Hey I had Shinko 777 on my 1300c and loved them. I took me a while but I found the rear for the 1800F Shinko #87-4608. I am having them put on my 2008 1800F next week. Search for that Shinko #87-4608... good luck.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
... I never have had problems with Shinkos. My xtx1300r came with Shinko 777’s, I got about 7k-8k and had a blowout ...
Isn't this a contradictory statement or am I missing something?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Here is a nice tire comparison tool. It will show you the difference in height and width. And I've been running Shinkos and like them. I get as much, if not more life out of them than tires I've run in the past. And their performance in dry and wet conditions has been outstanding. I'll buy them again.

Link for tire comparison: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=180-70r16-180-65r16

·
Registered
527 Posts
Isn't this a contradictory statement or am I missing something?
Sorry, been away from the forum for a while.

I had a blowout from running over something on the road. I had Ride-on inside the tire, it did it's job. I was going over 65 mph, was able to safely pull over. The only reason I noticed I had a blowout was I heard a loud pop, followed by a short hiss, then silence. I was able to hear this over my VERY loud batwing stereo with ear plugs on my 1/2 helmet.

Ride-On inside my tire after several thousand miles. This is how it looked when they removed the tire, not a drop spilled on their tools, in fact, they didn't even notice it until they were looking for the hole (after I asked them to look):

I would keep using Shinko's, but I went darkside, with a runflat tire:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Sorry, been away from the forum for a while.

I had a blowout from running over something on the road. I had Ride-on inside the tire, it did it's job. I was going over 65 mph, was able to safely pull over. The only reason I noticed I had a blowout was I heard a loud pop, followed by a short hiss, then silence. I was able to hear this over my VERY loud batwing stereo with ear plugs on my 1/2 helmet.

Ride-On inside my tire after several thousand miles. This is how it looked when they removed the tire, not a drop spilled on their tools, in fact, they didn't even notice it until they were looking for the hole (after I asked them to look):

I would keep using Shinko's, but I went darkside, with a runflat tire:

Im glad you were able to stop with no damage or injury, great ! Im a little surprised the ride on didn't keep the tire inflated better, maybe it was a big hole in the tire ?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Im glad you were able to stop with no damage or injury, great ! Im a little surprised the ride on didn't keep the tire inflated better, maybe it was a big hole in the tire ?
I talked to the owner of Ride-On, his theory is that if I had kept riding, the centrifugal force plus the heat would have continued to keep the tire plugged. He thinks I could have made it home (40 miles from that point).

But in the end, it did all I hoped it would have, get me safely off the road. I drove about 1/2 mile before I stopped, and honestly, if I didn't hear the pop, I never would have known there was something wrong.

He stated that I did the safest thing, pull over. The product did it's job, being able to keep riding longer is simply a bonus.

I will never ride a motorcycle without ride-on.

If you click on the picture of the tire with the chalk mark, it will take you to a page where you can zoom in. You should be able to see the size of the hole vs the tread pattern.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts