Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been seeing a lot of chatter regarding shock bushings. I looked at mine on my 2006 1800C and I can't determine and what kind of shape they are or if they need to be replaced. The first images the right, second image is the left.
Also, when I replace them do I need to get OEM? Part number would be appreciated too. Thank you cheers!

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to ask in my opening, but does the bike have to be lifted in order to replace?

·
Registered
517 Posts
:thumbup: I did mine, it was really easy. Did one shock at a time, NO lift needed although i did have my bike upright in a wheel chock. Aligned the bolt by simply applying pressure to side rail either up or down by hand. Used a dab of lithium grease on the bushings just to make a bit easier to insert and seat in shock using a rubber mallet.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Honda Green Poly-urethane(good) BUSH, RUBBER (UPPER) GREEN
52489-HN0-671 $2.00 at partzilla.com; $2.50 at Directlineparts.com; $2.09 at ronayers.com
PLUS whatever shipping. These GREEN replace any BLACK ones on the VTX 1300 and 1800.
The best ones to use...

Mcmaster Carr nylon(mixed results)
Google ""vtxoa: mcmaster carr"" for threads

I jack my bike up. Easy to install.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
The 'greens' are an upgrade over the black OEM ones. Maybe somewhat better but they will wear in a few years time as well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
With the other shock still on it keeps the alignment of the shock bolt very close to where is needs to be for the shock to go back on. It was no more than a slight nudge of the rear end i did while sitting down to reinstall.
Again, my bike was upright in a wheel chock, that's all. I even installed (and uninstalled) progressive shocks the same why on this bike.

it's slightly time consuming but very easy. thinking maybe one hour max, sipping coffee.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I just did mine today. Got the green ones from Powersports.com. Very easy to install, but I did use my cycle jack, to keep the bike level. I would have been easier if I would have removed the saddlebags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts