Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member, new rider (52y/o), new, to me, VTX1800R 2003.. Just acquired my bike from a guy who had it stored in a barn for 5 years.. It runs great but looks like crap.. he let all the chrome rust..

The shocks are really bad and when I look on line for replacements, they are $375 or more if you can even find them.. What is everyone doing to replace the shocks on these bikes?
I like the look of the factory ones but more concerned with safety and ride comfort.

·
Registered
12,911 Posts
New member, new rider (52y/o), new, to me, VTX1800R 2003.. Just acquired my bike from a guy who had it stored in a barn for 5 years.. It runs great but looks like crap.. he let all the chrome rust..

The shocks are really bad and when I look on line for replacements, they are $375 or more if you can even find them.. What is everyone doing to replace the shocks on these bikes?
I like the look of the factory ones but more concerned with safety and ride comfort.
Cut the chrome shields off. With all the free Gubmint $$ given out after Covid, i bit the bullet and paid over $700 for my Progressive 444's. Had to wait almost 6 months, but I got them, and really like them. Turns a Chevy into a Cadillac.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,286 Posts
Just purchased 430-4202c. Had 412-4202 on it, tried to replace bushings. After destroying 2 new poly ones, I just said, wait, mine are 18yrs old, just order new ones. So, I did. They will be here Monday.

·
Registered
2008 VTX 1800N, Vance & Hines Big shots exhaust and stock air intake
54 Posts
I've had the 412's on for a few months. They are standard and not the heavy duty. I'm 250lbs and my bike was loaded for a long trip and they performed excellent! These appear to be the entry level progressives but they are so much better than stock I can't see a need to spend more. My .02¢

1 - 9 of 9 Posts