Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone recommend a decent shop or even a backyard mechanic to get the fork seals done? Nann's have been leaking pretty bad and it's time to get them redone. I watched an old NSR video I found on youtube and it looks a little beyond what I'm comfortable with.
Bob

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
I'm afraid I'm no help for lending a hand on this one, sorry. Some of the veteran's have the skills but I don't see anyone on the board anymore.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I had mine done by Crosstown Cycle in Bloomington last summer. Pretty fair prices and good communication. I had some other issues they addressed and they were very up front about letting me know.

Most recently I went to Empire Cycle in Loretto to get tires mounted and was impressed with their service. Seems like a small shop that takes their time and does it right.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I'll check out crosstown.

How's the toy hauler Steve? We decided to put ours on a seasonal spot on the river in WI so it was less packing and unpacking. Going to the Ozarks in August tho.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Bob,
The TH is great. Going down to Frontenac this weekend (I hope the rain holds off...). Been getting out just about once a month. I hear you about the loading/unloading aspect but my wife and I love checking out new places. We are taking the kids (ha...21yr & 17yr) to Yellowstone this summer. I'm still trying to get the green light to bring the bike but I know I will just have to come back to Yellowstone another time...:wink2:

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
I had motoprimo do mine ... after I had a bath in fork oil putting in new springs.
I took off the risers and took them in so it was pretty reasonable.

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
1800 correct?

If you want to go thru the work of pulling them out of the triple trees I could spin over and help you out. Its super easy. Do you have a bench vice?

FYI only buy Honda Seal !!!!

You may want to buy the bushings for the forks while your at it. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
Big + on the OEM seals. And if the forks have some mileage on them definitely change the bushings and sliders. If X'N helps you out you'll be good. Follow service manual.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Thanks guys, I'll check out crosstown.

How's the toy hauler Steve? We decided to put ours on a seasonal spot on the river in WI so it was less packing and unpacking. Going to the Ozarks in August tho.
I've done a lot of trips down through Mississori and into Arkansas.
Great rides.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys Big walked us through it and we did the wife's. Mine next when the parts get in.

We did discover her slide and tube are slightly bent on the right. Probably part of the reason for the leak. Previous owner must have been dinged enough to bend it.

If anyone is selling a right side fork slide and tube let me know. It's not an urgent fix but if we stick with the old one we'll end up doing the seals frequently.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts