Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 19” Memphis fats and just added 6” risers. Because the risers allow me to sit back more (BTW, MUCH more comfortable) the shield is now too tall. I have a buddy that made his own lowers and was wondering if you guys think I could cut this down successfully. Don’t have the money to spring for a new shield so this is my only option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
907 Posts
windshield

I would put your windshield up for sale instead of trying to cut it. You would have to be careful as not to damage your shield.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
cool runnins said:
I have a 19” Memphis fats and just added 6” risers. Because the risers allow me to sit back more (BTW, MUCH more comfortable) the shield is now too tall. I have a buddy that made his own lowers and was wondering if you guys think I could cut this down successfully. Don’t have the money to spring for a new shield so this is my only option.
repete after me....
I want a black bike, but if i cant get one, will someone trade me windshields?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,958 Posts
or, how about them new neck stretchers on the HDL listing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
Cool,
Sorry, I just tried it...it didn't work correctly.
So once you follow that link type: windshield
into the search block. Then look for the article
entitled: "How to Cut Down Motorcycle Windshields for Safety"
that will be several lines down on the first search
result page.
t
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thebike said:
Cool,
Sorry, I just tried it...it didn't work correctly.
So once you follow that link type: windshield
into the search block. Then look for the article
entitled: "How to Cut Down Motorcycle Windshields for Safety"
that will be several lines down on the first search
result page.
t
Now that's what I'm talking about!! Thanks bro, and if anyone is interested in the end results (I'm going to do this unless someone pops up with a trade) let me know, I've been a wood worker (cabinet maker, finish carpenter) for years before getting into IT so I really don’t think I’ll have too much trouble.
 
G

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I used to work at a plastics company make sure you use lots of masking tape and a router not a saw and you should do fine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
You can cut a windshield down with a roto zip tool.Put masking tape on the shield for the base plate of the tool to rest on & mark desired cut.After cutting is complete,round off & smooth edge with sandpaper.If you haven't done this before,you might want to get a feel for it on a scrap of plexiglas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
cool runnins, I have cut two, works ok, just go slow. use a lot of tape.
I did not take it off to cut. good luck.
Don Hurd
D'Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks everyone, I have someone that might be trying to work a swap, but if that doesn't workout I will be cutting. If anyone is interested I'll do a write up on it.
 
F

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
I went from a 21" to a 19" memphis shades windshield. My dealer sold me the 19" windshield without hardware for $58...it took me 15 minutes to swap out the hardware and mount it...Frankp :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Bruce I have a friend down here that did it on his Hardley...He drew a template of the top curve of the sheild on paper then transfered it to his sheild before he cut it. You can't even tell he cut it. I have a phone # for him if you want to ask questions... Dann
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lowinsure said:
Bruce I have a friend down here that did it on his Hardley...He drew a template of the top curve of the sheild on paper then transfered it to his sheild before he cut it. You can't even tell he cut it. I have a phone # for him if you want to ask questions... Dann
Thanks Dann, I'm all over this, already have my template, taped it to the windshield, taken it out on the street moved it till I could see what I wanted over the top of the paper (glad I did this because sitting in the garage looked like I wanted to take off about 3” but once out on the road it’s more like a 1 1/2”, you can always cut more off, right?) drew the curve on with a dry erase pen and taping it up. I think it would be best to have it warm (the windshield, seems like it might be brittle if cold) so ether I’ll bring it in the house to warm up or just wait for a warmer day, you know what I’m saying, it’s just a little over 40 here. Picked the router bit I’ll be using, brand new still has the coating on it. I was going to get some 1/4” paneling (still might if I don’t do this today) and make a jig that I can clamp to the windshield to run the router against so I don’t have to free hand, but I’ve free handed a lot of stuff so I’m not too worried about it.

But thanks for thinking of me bro, BTW if it’s going to be nice next Friday what do you think about me heading down your way for that dyno?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
921 Posts
Damn Bruce...I won't be here Friday...I get to go fishing in Loreto, Mexico with 3 freinds...a guy trip! No estrogen :D First trip in 18 years with out my wife and/or kids...damn I sure am gonna miss them :D I leave Thursday and get back Sunday night. I will have some Tuna, Dorado and hopefully some Sailfish steaks for your barbi...just ride down with an ice chest on the rack
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
lowinsure said:
Damn Bruce...I won't be here Friday...I get to go fishing in Loreto, Mexico with 3 freinds...a guy trip! No estrogen :D First trip in 18 years with out my wife and/or kids...damn I sure am gonna miss them :D I leave Thursday and get back Sunday night. I will have some Tuna, Dorado and hopefully some Sailfish steaks for your barbi...just ride down with an ice chest on the rack
Hey man, if you didn't want to hang out with me, :cry: you didn't have to make up this story about going fishing and abandoning your family. I get it :cry: I know when I'm not wanted :cry:

:wink: Have a great time :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
313 Posts
LISTEN TO frankp Then sell your old one to someone else.

But if you just absolutely want to cut it, I cut the bottoms on my Suzuki shield for some custom work I did a couple of years ago.

I used a "RotoZip tool, (originally for cutting-out in drywall) with a plastic-cutting bit. (They were BRAND NEW then and pricey, but now they are pretty common. You could probably borrow one. Sears sells the various bits for drywall, wood, plastic, metal, etc.)

I taped GOOD masking tape, the blue stuff. About 4 layers. This was to avoid scratching with the soleplate of the tool. You can get it in 2" width and I drew my line on it. But I had to freehand what I did.

My rotozip has a guide, similar to that on a skill saw or a saber saw. I would think you could use the guide and follow the original contour however much you want to cut off. That is, if you want to cut 2" off, set the guide for 2".

You'll get some melted plastic on the edges, but it can be removed carefully with sandpaper. You'll get this no matter what you use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This was a piece of cake, cut it with my trusty router, fine grit paper on the old belt sander to smooth out the imperfections in my cut, block sand with 180, then 240. IMHO My edge feels better than the original. Still in the garage seems a bit high but out on the street looks just right.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top