Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I (mysteriously) had a clutch plate sneak outside of the clutch outter and get sheared off by the clutch outter teeth. When this happened, a large piece of the plate was sitting on the bottom of the cover along with a few very tiny pieces of the plate. My concern is that there may be some other small pieces of this soft aluminum plate floating around in the crank and who knows where else. What might be a good way to flush out (I changed the oil a couple of times after running for a few minutes) the crank and engine to get this crap out?!?!? Or, should I even be concerned at this point?

Also, does anyone have any opinion on how a clutch plate could have gotten outside of the clutch outter to get sheared off? The only mod I did to the clutch was clutch springs of which I replaced one at a time never taking the lifter off or loosening it at all . . . . I used Barnett springs for the replacement.

Any feedback would be appreciate on both subjects . . . thanks!

Andy

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
none - I had the exhaust off so I did the mod - after the mod, I could barely find neutral and it was slipping pretty bad.

I forgot to mention, not sure if this has anything to do with it, but when I did the spring mod, I obviously emptied the oil. By the time I went to the stealer to get some oil, I forgot to replace it and the bike ran without oil for about 45 seconds until I shut it off after hearing a screeching sound coming from or below the rear cyclinder (clutch area potentially). I know, what an idiot - I never put it in gear or anything or touched the clutch - It just idled really rough. . .

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any ideas? I'm a little worried to put the new MTC clutch kit in if there's something that I might be missing that's going to destroy this kit too!
Thanks

L

·
0 Posts
Wccoman,

I might check the oil pump to insure it is not damaged, including the drive chain! As for the clutch, I am not sure how the plate could have been moved if you replaced the springs one at a time unless some of the bolts snapped off and allowed the plates to push beyond the housing. The top plate does sit in its own groove of the clutch basket (different than all the other plates).

I dont see how the new clutch could be effected if everything else is ok. I guess I would lean toward the oil pump and that region to check.

Lonewolf

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'd find a competent mechanic and let them install the clutch and check everything else at the same time. You never can be too careful when you find metal shavings loose in your crank case.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I found out there is an oil pump screen which is where debris would gather. It looks like part #4 on the following picture. I have never had to look for it so I cant offer much advice. Maybe Pete or Johnnycheese will chime in with some things to look for.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
wccoman said:
the bike ran without oil for about 45 seconds until I shut it off after hearing a screeching sound coming from or below the rear cyclinder (clutch area potentially). I never put it in gear or anything or touched the clutch - It just idled really rough. . .
Im pretty sure this is where your problem started. Its only a wet clutch if theres oil in the engine. Generally the clutch is submerged in oil. If it isnt it will fail. I dont know what other potential damage could have occured other than the clutch in 45 seconds. Possibly more internals like the cylinder walls/pistons/crank. Did you have synthetic in it or dino? I dont even know if it would make a difference. You should get a compression test done when your done.

·
Registered
667 Posts
if i remember correctly you drove the bike some after you put oil back in and was complaining about the clutch slipping? if not sorry but anyway driving the bike with the clutch slipping that bad would heat up the plates and fracture them thus causing a brake in the disc the spinning forse of the drum would have forced the disc out and then boom you need to have the clutch assembly checked and if you are really worried about metal clogging your oil pick up screen you need to remove it and see.good luck its only money.save yourself some money and have someone check it that new clutch assembly is not cheap it would suck to put it in and blow it up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts