Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's happened twice now. I trickle charge the battery over the winter month but twice now it has stranded me, both at gas stations after fill up. It starts fine in the garage but it fails the first time it gets a chance. I am at a point of wanting to carry a spare battery. I've been lucky so far to get stranded close to home. I can't imagine what I would do 300 miles away from where no one can find me. I remember the original battery lasted years without ever needing a charge over the winter months.

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
Check the VTX charging voltage. It should be about 14.4 DC volts at the battery with engine running at 2000 rpm or more.

Trickle charger is bringing it up, but without continuous charging it gets weak.

I have some charging info on the Step by Step board

·
Registered
504 Posts
My limited knowledge is not required here, you're in good hands with Hans & Feet, but i am curious about this.

How old is the Battery?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Shredder, I noticed your Avatar.
Something like this once pulled in front of me on the highway.
Dangerous.
I was glad they left the highway a few miles later; no matter how hard I tried it was very difficult to concentrate on safe driving.

:surprise:

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My limited knowledge is not required here, you're in good hands with Hans & Feet, but i am curious about this.

How old is the Battery?
Just one year. Seems like I need a new one every season. Either that or I bought a crappy one. The good fellas at PepBoys sold me a Champion. What I didn't tell you is that the terminals were reversed so I had to turn the battery before dropping it in. The cables barely reached.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shredder, I noticed your Avatar.
Something like this once pulled in front of me on the highway.
Dangerous.
I was glad they left the highway a few miles later; no matter how hard I tried it was very difficult to concentrate on safe driving.

:surprise:
That avatar is a few years old now. I am still looking to take her for a ride. My chances aren't getting any better.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Just one year. Seems like I need a new one every season. Either that or I bought a crappy one. The good fellas at PepBoys sold me a Champion. What I didn't tell you is that the terminals were reversed so I had to turn the battery before dropping it in. The cables barely reached.
Here's my next battery:
https://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery/ytx14h-bs/?vehicle_type=motorcycle&vehicle_make=honda&vehicle_year=2007&vehicle_model=vtx1300c-r-s-retro&vehicle_id=28762

Check out the nice price:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Yuasa-YUAM6RH4H-High-Performance-Maintenance-Free-Battery-YTX14H-BS/323506091793?epid=171130525&hash=item4b52773711:g:SkUAAOSwa3ZbyOwd:sc:ShippingMethodStandard!85208!US!-1

If you have a VTX 1800 its a different battery than my VTX 1300R.

·
Registered
8,961 Posts
if you had good luck with a good battery in the past..

then why did you purchase a crappy battery..

Yuasa.. from the factory..

my first battery lasted 8 years and 50,000 miles... I stay with what works..
cheap batteries are cheap for a reason.. not retail price..

I lived near Cleveland Ohio for 66 years.... rode motorcycles for 50 years.
I know winter hibernation.
and still riding.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My $.02. Flame or disagree if you must. Between the OP and me, we got 12-1/2 years on the original Yuasa, and we BOTH would keep it on a Battery Tender Jr. when not riding. I bought a Bike Master replacement, only because I thought it was time. Again, on a tender always. It lasted maybe 7 weeks, and would not start the bike, totally dead. NEVER AGAIN cheap off brand crap! Then bought a YUASA replacement, and it's been perfect now for 3 years.

·
Old Goat
24,194 Posts
Yuasa all the way...13 years ,54k...on my second cause I thought it was time...good luck OP...

·
Registered
706 Posts
How do you winter your battery? Do you remove it from the bike and store it in a warm environment, or leave it in the bike? I leave mine in the bike and plug it in to the tender for the entire winter, this keeps the battery warm enough that it doesn't freeze in the garage.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I am, for the most part, a big fan of the right tool for the job. While in some instances I'm as good as MacGyver at many things, I simply would not have accepted, unless absolutely shy of options, a battery not intended for the application. Terminals reversed means that's not the right battery for the bike. I get that sometimes you need to compromise or walk though.

It is important, when you get a new battery, to follow the initial charge instructions. Some car battery places, will put a bike battery on the same charge rack as a car battery. For a bike battery, the charge rate it too high for an initial charge, possibly shortening the life of the battery. Unless purchasing from a bike shop, I prefer to get the battery dray and I will prepare it myself.

FTR, there are other good battery makers out there. My 2012 HD FLTRU, still on the factory battery. I think HD buys from Exide, but I'm not sure. When it needs replacement, you can bet I'll just go to the local HD dealer and pay way too much for an Exide? battery with an HD label on it. Why? Well, because you can't argue with success, I know it works and is reliable. Honda liked Yuasa and the factory batteries last and last. No need to look for anything else IMO.

*edit* **correction**

Further research shows Deka makes batteries for HD, not Exide. My apologies for the inaccurate posting.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
YUASA, yep

·
Registered
10,865 Posts
The DEKA battery has a unique large battery post.
I had two in use previously, one many miles and one not so many.
Back to Yuasa.
Some internet place was showing "Motocross" as being made by Yuasa.
https://www.batterystuff.com/blog/motocross-vs-yuasa-which-is-the-better-motorcycle-battery-.html
http://www.motocrosspower.com/products/hp_oem.php
Made in USA. Reading, PA or somewhere nearby.

I repaired my low cost charge indicator.
It can be seen in bright sunlight. Leds wash out when sunlight on them.
Center of the handlebar below the GPS.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
An actual spare battery would be a serious nuisance to haul around but the basic idea has merit. Once you have the present system fully correct and functional, I don’t think a little jump boost battery is a bad idea. They can be had for roughly $60 or less and will save you in a pinch. I’ve got one that weighs about one pound and is just a bit smaller than an old VHS tape. Amazing what a little lithium cell can do. I’ve jumped V8s to lawnmowers and been amazed.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
An actual spare battery would be a serious nuisance to haul around but the basic idea has merit. Once you have the present system fully correct and functional, I don’t think a little jump boost battery is a bad idea. They can be had for roughly $60 or less and will save you in a pinch. I’ve got one that weighs about one pound and is just a bit smaller than an old VHS tape. Amazing what a little lithium cell can do. I’ve jumped V8s to lawnmowers and been amazed.
That is a great idea!

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't know about a spare battery although the cigarette pack size lithium backups are interesting for a trip. But I'd definitely put on a voltage monitor, you would have known immediately there was an electrical problem and been able to take care of it before you are stranded. I like the single bulb kind but I had a kuryakyn multiple led on the X. Both are fine but I just want to look down and see green, nothing added to see multiple yellow and red led's that aren't lit. Sparkbright on the 650 and Kuryakyn on the X.
http://www.sparkbright.co.uk/battery-voltage-monitors.php

Attachments

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
After 2 batteries went out fast. Learned my bikes charging system was out. I was putting it on the tender every night..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts