Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey peeps! So i feel like my forks are super spongy. No leaks or anything just spongy. I went over a speed but today not very fast and they bottomed out.

second is there anything like the arlen ness big sucker for the vtx?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
race tech springs with emulators fixed the spongy problem on my 1300r .
Right on i checked em out. Looks like a little over $300 for emulators and springs. What else am i going to need to do this job? Tools?

·
Registered
848 Posts
if you have many miles there are 4 bushings .....and 2 fork seals , two orings for fork caps and 2 16 ounce bottles of synthetic fork fluid . as for tools I made a driver for bushing out of pvc pipe ,put flat washer from shock between bushing and pvc pipe to tap in new bushing. I think bareasschoppers.com has some videos on fork rebuild as well as youtube maybe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
progressive (the brand) springs and fresh oil will do wonders if you want to save some $. it's not racetech, but completely good enough for me.
tools are basic. the only "specialized" thing you need is a piece of PVC like engineoops said

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if you have many miles there are 4 bushings .....and 2 fork seals , two orings for fork caps and 2 16 ounce bottles of synthetic fork fluid . as for tools I made a driver for bushing out of pvc pipe ,put flat washer from shock between bushing and pvc pipe to tap in new bushing. I think bareasschoppers.com has some videos on fork rebuild as well as youtube maybe.
there are only 6k miles on the bike its an 07 so i know it has sat for an extended period of time and i know bushings and seals can dry rot. Makes me wonder if i

progressive (the brand) springs and fresh oil will do wonders if you want to save some $. it's not racetech, but completely good enough for me.
tools are basic. the only "specialized" thing you need is a piece of PVC like engineoops said
i will look at those as well thanks!

·
Registered
12,055 Posts
I believe the fork bushings are Teflon or moly coated.
The air space, oil level, oil weight control damping.
If your seals are leaking then the air cushion (compression) could be lacking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe the fork bushings are Teflon or moly coated.
The air space, oil level, oil weight control damping.
If your seals are leaking then the air cushion (compression) could be lacking.
I have not seen any leaking going on.

·
Old Goat
25,495 Posts
I am not your ”Peeps”........good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
I did this a month ago due to the same problem, plus had bad leaks. Mine sat for along time before I bought it and the seals didn't do their job. Had only 1/3 of the oil that should have been in there, and it was filthy. I used Progressive Springs ($100) and new Honda fork parts at around $90. The Service Manual details how to do this, along with a bunch of YouTube videos. You can use a PVC coupling to press the bushings into the fork. Best $200 and 4 hours I've ever spent.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts