Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering if there is anyone who has a suggestion (other than buy a new one) on how to repair a side cover. I had broken 2 of the male parts (that fit in the rubber housing, lack of better description). :tools:

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Wondering if there is anyone who has a suggestion (other than buy a new one) on how to repair a side cover. I had broken 2 of the male parts (that fit in the rubber housing, lack of better description). :tools:
TRY AND FIND A LOCAL SHOP THAT DOES PLASTIC WELDING.
That is how they fix farings on sport bikes some times. Call around, i am sure someone will be of some help

here is youtube funny but how it is done

·
Registered
246 Posts
plastic weld

lowes or home depot both sell a plastic weld. it is a 2 part formula that actually welds plastic to plastic very well. however be sure both parts are plastic. good luck

·
Banned
8,514 Posts
That's good info to know. At some point in time I'm going to get some new chrome C model side covers to replace the stock F covers on my bike. I know I would need to cut and relocate the pins to make it work. The plastic welding idea sounds like a good plan.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
A friend of mine uses a soldering gun and the ink refill plastic to fix plastic; without the ink of course. I have never seen any of his welds break. The outside of a ink pen gets too hard when welding and will break.

The problem with plastic welding there are several types of plastic. So you need the proper welding plastic.

Taking it to a shop that does plastic welding, you need to be sitting down when they tell you the cost.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I be real surprised if they held up for long no matter how they were repaired, being skinny plastic bayonets with a weak OEM design and all....good luck?:dontknow:

·
Registered
10,672 Posts
That's good info to know. At some point in time I'm going to get some new chrome C model side covers to replace the stock F covers on my bike. I know I would need to cut and relocate the pins to make it work. The plastic welding idea sounds like a good plan.

No ya don't all you need to do is cut the lower front right peg off and your golden.

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
Wouldn't JB Weld be strong enough to do the job?

JB weld made for plastic is like a epoxy. It does not adhere to all plastic.
done that before.

Personally speaking I would see if I could find a metal one (has a screw end to them), they use them on HD's to hold on the mid fairing. That would also depend on finding them the right length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for some tips, I will try the epoxy (as this is the cheapest and eastest option), if it does not work than see how much a shop with cost, and determine if worthwhile to replace.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts