Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in s.w. fl., lee co., cape coral to be exact and i'm trying to find out what the law is for having a side mounted plate. i heard that it has to be 18" from the ground, horizontally mounted and illuminated, i ride a VTX N and want to move the plate off the fender for looks but don't want a $1000 ticket or to be pulled over at all for that matter. i found a really nice horizontal mount but don't want to pay $120 for it only to get pulled over and have to remove it or risk other probs. anyone have any info or input???

·
Banned
13,031 Posts
I'm pretty sure the law was just changed that bans the side plate. If you wanna avoid reasons for contact. Leave it oem.

OTOH,..I see'm around here all the time and haven't heard that the law is being enforced.

Bottom line,...For 1000.oo de facto charge '???? Why chance it? :shock:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There might be a little "wiggle room" in what Highlander posted.

The way that I am reading the new laws is that they are looking to bust the crotch rocket guys. Those folks have their plates mounted so they can fold up under the seats and not be seen. I have witnessed the cops giving tickets to the rocket guys at Holiday park in the past

I will try and post a link to what I have read earlier (I thought it was 12" off the ground, perminently bolted and lighted, oh, horizontal also). The "original" laws.

Maybe the new stuff superceeds.

As always though..If ya ain't bringing attention to yourself, you probably don't have much to worry about.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Not my wiggle room. I just posted the law. I work with a bunch guys that are part of Abate South Florida. They've been fighting this from the beginning. What gonzo is saying is in part fact. The Law makers were definately after the crotch rocket guys because of the irresponsible way they ride, and indeed tucking the license plate up into the fender well so you can't see it. But I was down at OCC on Federal a couple weeks ago and a guy came in with a $60k chopper that came from the manufacturer with a vertical side mounted plate and a ticket in his hand for it. I don't know what the fine will be when he takes it to court and argues that it came that way from a Federal D.O.T. certified OEM. There is a big challenge going to happen with parts of this law.

As for any individual case about where you put your license plate could be up to the judge you see.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I had my tag installed on the side ( horizontally), since day 1. Had nothing to do with the law ( 3 years ago it did not existed) but with the fact that I personally do not like it vertilcally oriented.
So far I had no problems and hope will stay this way.!!!:doorag:

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Fair enough Highlander..Wiggle room may have not been the best term. What I read in the law is that if it horizontal, lighted and perminent you should be OK.

Oh yea..The OCC guy..Backs up my argument that if you aren't bring attention to yourself....

I do hope they payed the ticket for the guy and mounted the plate legally

By the way..The ABATE guys..What are they fighting this time?

·
Registered
617 Posts
As usual my 2cents (like ya really need it)
The way I read the statue they just want it mounted horizontally, it can't move up, it can't move down, it can't move left, it can't move right, permanent.
It does not address the mounting position of the plate (left/right/center), as I read it. NEXT!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
As usual my 2cents (like ya really need it)
The way I read the statue they just want it mounted horizontally, it can't move up, it can't move down, it can't move left, it can't move right, permanent.
It does not address the mounting position of the plate (left/right/center), as I read it. NEXT!
I don't know if this is the full script of the law. I've heard that it can't be moved from the original factory location. But I haven't seen it so Batman could be right.

What the ABATE guys are telling me is that they are fighting the amount of the fines as excessive.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I was just giving you credit, I always figured Goober to be the smarter of the two.:grin::grin::grin:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts