Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so I drilled some holes in the front part of my airbox, to let just a little more air in. Before, when I pulled the plugs, I was running a little rich (according to Bare's spark plug chart...thanks Bare).
Well, after drilling the holes, I seemed to get a little more decel popping than before, and the bike "seemed" to be running a little more sluggish. Pulled the plugs again, and according to the chart, I was a lot leaner (at least moreso than I thought a few holes in the front of the airbox would cause. However, according to the chart, the plugs we pretty dang close to perfect, and I do think my gas mileage had gone up a little on that last tank......BUT, as I said, it kind of "felt" like it was sluggish on acceleration. Cruises just fine, but it just seemed to lack a little punch.
I have the tri-pot model of the Cobra FI2000. My settings at the time are "0" on pot 1 (idle and cruise fuel), "2" on Pot 2 (acceleration fuel), and "0" on pot 3 (high end fuel...the book said pretty much not to mess with this one). Is it possible my bike is idling fine (hence, the near perfect plugs), but just not getting enough fuel on the acceleration pot? Reason I ask, which one would cause the decel popping to get a little worse?
Yes, I know...do the PAIR mod. Thing is, the popping is not bad at all anyway, even as it is...I was just curious. Anyway, I am thinking of bumping the acceleration fuel on up to 4 just to see what happens. Any thoughts or opinions? I was just confused why the plugs would look good, but the acceleration seemed to be less....was hoping that that meant I was dead on with the idle and cruise fuel, but need a kick in the butt on the acceleration fuel. BTW, I am running Bigshots with Thundermonster baffles, and the airbox with a few holes drilled in the front. Aftermarket intake to come later, but cash is LOW right now. :D Thanks!

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
305 Posts
The 1st pot covers low RPM operations and this is where the X is leanest. It is generally very lean at low RPMs, a little lean in midrange and rich on top. Try your 1st pot at 2 and go from there.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i have found best results when adjusting #1 pod to hold throttle at 1,200rpms steady.there is a tecanal reason why u need to be justoff idle when adjusting pod #1 but i cant rember why.i do know the results are better.do this get the most rpms this way then let off throttle then adjust idle with idle screw now u should have no more popping.also make sure bike is fully warmed up first.i beleve it is just off idle where the ecu kicks in and is also where the poping is thats why and howcome its better results adjusted this way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts