Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the past year, I've noticed it takes longer for the bike to turn over when holding the start button. Sometimes, it will fire, delay, then finally fire and turn over. During the delay, you can hear the engine trying to turn over until it finally does so. Is this just simple starter maintenance? If so, any literature available on the subject? The battery is new as of last year, but was left in over the winter. I clean out the cobwebs about once a month over the winter while its kept in a garage ~55 deg F.
Thanks.

Luke

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
battery is weak... charge it. and keep trying like you have will WELD the contacts in the starter solenoid... and it will also need replaced.

it is BAD for the battery and the engine to start and let idle during the winter... bikes have very little charging at idle. so battery is not fully recharged each time.
plus the engine not getting fully hot.. water will collect inside of engine...

have the battery charged. then LOAD tested (100 amp test) at an auto parts store... FREE.....

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
Your battery is either weak or bad from you draining it all winter from starting and letting it idle. A bikes battery will not charge at idle, so you drain it by starting and each time it gets weaker. The bike also will not get hot enough at idle to burn off condensation inside the engine, fuel tank, frame, exhaust, etc... and that water will sit inside doing it's damage rusting from the inside out. It is far better for the bike to be truly put away for the winter by buying a cover and a battery tender, plug it in cover it and leave alone until spring.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Your battery is either weak or bad from you draining it all winter from starting and letting it idle. A bikes battery will not charge at idle, so you drain it by starting and each time it gets weaker. The bike also will not get hot enough at idle to burn off condensation inside the engine, fuel tank, frame, exhaust, etc... and that water will sit inside doing it's damage rusting from the inside out. It is far better for the bike to be truly put away for the winter by buying a cover and a battery tender, plug it in cover it and leave alone until spring.
Mine did the same thing. Bought new battery, problem solved. Batteries seem to be the first check when starting problems.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
the VTX starter pulls more power than a 4 cylinder car engine.. with a battery 1/3 the size.... that is why the 1800 has compression release.. to help the battery.

·
Registered
783 Posts
the VTX starter pulls more power than a 4 cylinder car engine.. with a battery 1/3 the size.... that is why the 1800 has compression release.. to help the battery.
I've considered that very thing on more than one occasion. I have a Mazda Miata with exactly the same size engine. The starter and the battery in the bike are considerably less in physical size to those in the car. Two large cylinders vs four smaller ones means the cranking loads are distributed very differently throughout the rotation.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
I've considered that very thing on more than one occasion. I have a Mazda Miata with exactly the same size engine. The starter and the battery in the bike are considerably less in physical size to those in the car. Two large cylinders vs four smaller ones means the cranking loads are distributed very differently throughout the rotation.
a few years ago. someone here questioned me... and I did not have fact...

So... owning the equipment.. I did that very thing.... using my bike...
temperature measurements, voltage measurements.. and digital recorder AMP measurements.

at 72 degrees.. with everything disconnected except circuit to power starter... first 2 seconds.. pulled 355 amps... then slowly declined to 220.

my original post should be here somewhere...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts