Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9,240 Posts
Sadly.. common and repeated..

the garage outside key lock.. easy to pry out and short the 2 wires
spray battery acid into key lock of garage.. seconds the door opens.
wire to grab door release rope
do not keep keys in garage
do not keep keys in the room Next to garage entry door.

all of this advice has been offered since the 1970's.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Sadly.. common and repeated..

the garage outside key lock.. easy to pry out and short the 2 wires
spray battery acid into key lock of garage.. seconds the door opens.
wire to grab door release rope
do not keep keys in garage
do not keep keys in the room Next to garage entry door.

all of this advice has been offered since the 1970's.
Now with smart devices. I get notifications whenever my garage door is opened/closed. My alarm notifies me if the power goes out (or even if it loses connection with the monitoring company). I have an 8 camera 8TB NVR system (25 days of 1080p video), and a ring doorbell. I think technology has made major changes to how I protect my stuff vs. 10 years ago.

If my bike is stolen, I'm not sure I want it back, I'd just file a claim with my insurance company. I have kept every receipt in folder.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
I hardly ever leave my bike unattended...but for those times...I got a proximity switch hooked to some C-4..and xtra insurance....(y)
I can't get C4 here ... it's Canada and a cherry bomb is verboten!

I'd like to duplicate your setup though, could you put some C-4 in the mail for me?

·
Old Goat
24,415 Posts
I can't get C4 here ... it's Canada and a cherry bomb is verboten!

I'd like to duplicate your setup though, could you put some C-4 in the mail for me?

I would but I’m on a watch list...for suspected Infidels....

·
Registered
948 Posts
Now with smart devices. I get notifications whenever my garage door is opened/closed. My alarm notifies me if the power goes out (or even if it loses connection with the monitoring company). I have an 8 camera 8TB NVR system (25 days of 1080p video), and a ring doorbell. I think technology has made major changes to how I protect my stuff vs. 10 years ago.
Without being personal, the general notion of "I got a camera system, thus my stuff is protected" is a logical fallacy. You can watch (and re-watch countless times) that your stuff got stolen. But cameras do not offer any protection, merely a record of a crime.
So protection would mostly involve physical prevention of theft.

Funny point in case:
We had a small auto-club a few decades ago. A friend of mine was showing off his convertible with a cool new California-style alarm with proximity sensors. You know, the kind that says "step away from the vehicle" if you get close and eventually sounds the siren if you get closer. I just gave him our new club hat that I got specially made for our club. He was so proud of it. He put it on his shifter and said: "now my alarm is protecting my cool new hat". I corrected him that his alarm offers 0 protection but he was adamant that his hat is protected and turned on the alarm.
I calmly walked up to his car, heard the step-away phrase, slowly reached into his convertible, setting off the siren. I grabbed the hat and handed it to a bum walking by. He accepted the hat with many thanks and shuffled away while my friend stood there with his jaw at his ankles. "Why jew do that?" "To prove you wrong, my friend".
No worries, I reached into my trunk and gave him another hat (I had a big batch made). But till this day, I won't hear the end of that. :D

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Without being personal, the general notion of "I got a camera system, thus my stuff is protected" is a logical fallacy. You can watch (and re-watch countless times) that your stuff got stolen. But cameras do not offer any protection, merely a record of a crime.

Funny point in case:
We had a small auto-club a few decades ago. A friend of mine was showing off his convertible with a cool new California-style alarm with proximity sensors. You know, the kind that says "step away from the vehicle" if you get close and eventually sounds the siren if you get closer. I just gave him our new club hat that I got specially made for our club. He was so proud of it. He put it on his shifter and said: "now my alarm is protecting my cool new hat". I corrected him that his alarm offers 0 protection but he was adamant that his hat is protected and turned on the alarm.
I calmly walked up to his car, heard the step-away phrase, slowly reached into his convertible, setting off the siren. I grabbed the hat and handed it to a bum walking by. He accepted the hat with many thanks and shuffled away while my friend stood there with his jaw at his ankles. "Why jew do that?" "To prove you wrong, my friend".
No worries, I reached into my trunk and gave him another hat (I had a big batch made). But till this day, I won't hear the end of that. :D
All we have are deterrents ... right Chuck?

If the wrong guy wants it bad enough, IT'S gone, gone, GONE! Ain't squat no one can do about it either.

·
Registered
948 Posts

If the wrong guy wants it bad enough, IT'S gone, gone, GONE! Ain't squat no one can do about it either.
Agreed.
I keep telling people the same. You cam chain your bike to a street light. They'll cut the chain. You can strap the bike to a palette. The'll bring a fork lift. You can put it in a form and pour cement on it. They can still haul it away. (though at that point you wouldn't have any use anyway, LOL)
So yes, if they want it badly, they WILL take it.
We can just try to prevent the small time crooks from taking what's not theirs. Professionals won't be stopped.

Now go ride, people! At least those of you who are still free.

·
Registered
9,240 Posts

100 percent true...
I found my 1965 Impala SS, 4 speed.. at the bottom of our street..... 6 times over a month..
they could not get it to start.. ( my handy work )...
last time... they used a Tow Truck, I was at work..
lady next door called the Police.... by the time they arrived.. car and truck was GONE.
never found.

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the great tips. Personally, I was already aware of the garage door cord vulnerability and took measures, though different than that suggested. I'm very lucky in that I live in a very safe neighborhood and we have a neighborhood watch with members on a network sharing anything of concern of suspicion.

Best advice is to have great insurance and take reasonable precautions so you're not kicking yourself after the fact for making a theft easy for thieves.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Without being personal, the general notion of "I got a camera system, thus my stuff is protected" is a logical fallacy. You can watch (and re-watch countless times) that your stuff got stolen. But cameras do not offer any protection, merely a record
FYI,
Many camera systems can work as an alarm system. They can differentiate between humans, animals, vehicles. For example, you can set up "tripwires" for humans to protect certain areas. When a person crosses that line, the system will allert anyone you want to. It"s the 21st century and Artifical Intelligence is here (and it"s scary).
Here is an interesting presentation (part 1) from a Chinese manufacturer Dahua. (BTW, it's the most interesting thing I've seen in my life, so far.) It"s not a video, just a Power Point presentation from a seminar (without explanation), but going through it you can figure out what a AI camera system is capable of today. (And the "basic" models are affordable for anyone.)

·
Registered
599 Posts
For older camera systems, I would agree, but modern times are different. Security systems have come a LONG way. Home automation coupled with modern cameras are way different then they used to be.

My camera system has zones with motion detection. This triggers an email to a dedicated email address I have on my phone (which triggers an alert on my watch). This email include a snapshot. Here I am walking into my garage. This snapshot was in my mailbox within 1 minute of the timestamp.

I know when my mailman puts mail in my mailbox before he gets to the box and before he is off to the neighbors house (my property is only 77 feet wide, got to love Long Island, NY). If anyone steps on my property, I am alerted prior to them making it to the building.

I am then able to trigger a panic on my alarm, or call the police if I want to. My house alarm is always on, even if we are home. If I wanted to go a little deeper, I can use software and home automation to have the camera's motion alert trigger things.

But yes, it isn't as good as me sitting behind a door with a shotgun in my hand LOL. But if my house has cameras all around it, and other houses on my block don't, this should make my house is less of a target.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I have a "Bully Alarm Lock". Nobody is getting the bike out of it's shelter without setting it off, it also sets-off a beeper in the house.
Found it useful during thunderstorms too, beeps me if it gets too windy then i put an extra paver stone on the front of the shelter which takes care of it. Had the Bully for almost eight years.

It can also go around the wheel of the bike so if the bike is moved for any reason it will beep you within 1/2 mile or something. So if you're in a store and someone hits your bike, you get beeped. I dont use it for this, just home security, but someone could.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Not really worried about and professional thief stealing my bike, i mean let's face it's a 13yo Honda, not exactly on the hot list....
My alarm lock was more about being aware if some local punk kids messed with or vandalized it etc. Living in a mobile home park with many seniors etc, i would be made aware if someone hit the bike with their car by accident.

it's as close as i can get to having a guard watch the bike.....and if it all fails i do have insurance.

it's all about peace of mind.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts