Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,

From what I've read the 1300 is single and the 1800 dual.

What does this mean, and why is a single "better" for sound?

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Dual Pin = pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop,pop
Single pin = pop,pop....pop,pop...pop,pop...pop,pop...pop,pop...

Single Pin = better :wink:

This may help:
http://www.sa750.com/vtwin/vtwin.htm

F

·
0 Posts
Yeah, love the sound of the single pin design:

In a two-cylinder, horizontally opposed engine, the pistons are timed so that one fires on one revolution of the crankshaft and the other fires on the next revolution -- so one of the two pistons fires on every revolution of the crankshaft. This seems logical and gives the engine a balanced feeling. To create this type of engine, the crankshaft has two separate pins for the connecting rods from the pistons. The pins are 180 degrees apart from one another.

The difference in the 1300 engine is that the crankshaft has only one pin, and both piston rods connect to it. This design, combined with the V arrangement of the cylinders, means that the pistons cannot fire at even intervals. Instead of one piston firing every 360 degrees, a single pin engine goes like this:

* A piston fires.
* The next piston fires at 315 degrees.
* There is a 405-degree gap.
* A piston fires.
* The next piston fires at 315 degrees.
* There is a 405-degree gap.

And the cycle continues.

At idle, you can hear the pop-pop sound followed by a pause. So the sound of the 1300 is pop-pop...pop-pop...pop-pop.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Besides sound, Dual Pin has less vibration than Single Pin.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Dual pin = VW Bug Sound
Single Pin = HD sound, well close, sorta
King Pin = my next bike
Bowling Pin = target for my .45
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Rolling Pin, Hat Pin, Bic Pen, Sean Penn . . .

Dr. Seuss kicks a$$.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Yesterday a friend came over to the house w/ his 1800, just had the V&H's put on. Sounded OK at idle, but as he was getting on it down the road it sounded like a VW w/out a muffler...like a sharp barking sound. I am debating on getting a set of V&H's, but I'd really like to hear them on a 1300 first. What do you all think of the sound of the 1300 w/ V&H's, compared to the 1800?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
storminnorm80 said:
Yesterday a friend came over to the house w/ his 1800, just had the V&H's put on. Sounded OK at idle, but as he was getting on it down the road it sounded like a VW w/out a muffler...like a sharp barking sound. I am debating on getting a set of V&H's, but I'd really like to hear them on a 1300 first. What do you all think of the sound of the 1300 w/ V&H's, compared to the 1800?
No comparison. The 1300 with V&H sounds great! You can't compare it to the V&H on the 1800. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

·
Registered
740 Posts
OK Camello, you just cost me $500 +! :lol: (V&H's, re-jet kit , and an air box) My wife is gonna hate me for awhile :wink: Thanks.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
You won't be sorry. What air box are you getting?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I'm not sure yet, going to do some more research first. I was leaning toward a K&N product, but after reading some test results about types of air filters, I think I'm going to stick with a paper filter. Any suggestions? What are you running?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I have the Thunder Vertical S&S on order. It's been on backorder for awhile now though. It uses the K&N filter. I'm currently running the stock airbox with a K&N. Just keep it clean and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Camello said:
Rolling Pin, Hat Pin, Bic Pen, Sean Penn ...
I have an idea, how about taking Sean Penn redneck bowling with you guys and he can hold the bowling pin...sounds like a party!

·
Registered
755 Posts
storminnorm80 said:
V&H are probably a very good choice to improve the sound coming out of that engine, but they do wonders for a 1300. Yes,there is no comparison.

I know what you are saying about that wierd sound the 1800 makes when it is spooled up. While the bike is very fast, the exhaust note lacks that v-twin rumble, that lope, that SOUND.

Boz

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
storminnorm80 said:
I'm not sure yet, going to do some more research first. I was leaning toward a K&N product, but after reading some test results about types of air filters, I think I'm going to stick with a paper filter. Any suggestions? What are you running?
Private test (not performed by any company to bias results) of paper, K&N, and Foam air filters.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest3.htm

Spencer :twisted:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts