Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey fellers!

My VTX1800s is having a problem stopping. Rear brakes are basically not exsistent, and the front break locks with the slightest amount of touch. I know I need to replace my brake pads but is that going to be enough? It seems like if I put to much rear brake it will lock the fronts too. I know the brakes are linked in a way that rear brakes also does something like 1/3 of the front brakes. I don't want to spend the money or spend the time if it's not going to fix my issue. ALSO, still getting used to using this site, is this where I post these questions? Is there a sub board I need to go to?

If I just need to replace the pads I need a suggestion as to who makes the best. I would rather quality over cheap. Thanks in advance!
May the force be with you from me and Red 5!!

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
OEM Honda pads are universally acclaimed to be the best. Yep, they are pricey, but for low noise, long life, low dust - they are the right choice.

Sounds to me like you ought to be considering a brake fluid change too, at the very least. How many miles on the bike? Sticky and inconsistent braking could be due to fluid that has absorbed moisture. How clear does your fluid look thru the sightglasses? Regardless... it's a cheap thing to do, and very worthy troubleshooting step.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
By the way... when I added an 1800N to my bike fleet, it too had pretty non-existent rear braking. The bike had been essentially unridden for the previous two years. New fluid and proper venting was all she needed. Not a thing wrong with pads. If yours don't look worn, I wouldn't necessarily go changing them. Fix the cheap stuff first. :thumbup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
By the way... when I added an 1800N to my bike fleet, it too had pretty non-existent rear braking. The bike had been essentially unridden for the previous two years. New fluid and proper venting was all she needed. Not a thing wrong with pads. If yours don't look worn, I wouldn't necessarily go changing them. Fix the cheap stuff first. :thumbup:

I had this same problem with my 1800. Changing brake fluid solved the issue.

Start there.

https://tech.bareasschoppers.com/brakes/bleeding-brakes-vtx-1800/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,891 Posts
OEM Honda pads are universally acclaimed to be the best. Yep, they are pricey, but for low noise, long life, low dust - they are the right choice.

Sounds to me like you ought to be considering a brake fluid change too, at the very least. How many miles on the bike? Sticky and inconsistent braking could be due to fluid that has absorbed moisture. How clear does your fluid look thru the sightglasses? Regardless... it's a cheap thing to do, and very worthy troubleshooting step.

+1 on this.

Any VTX that has an unknown history in regards to brake fluid changes should have this done now. They haven't been produced for 10 years now and the fluid should be changed out much more frequently than that. Also your 1800 has linked brakes so a problem in one cylinder will not necessarily be confined to back or front. Have it flushed, changed, and power bled, along with new pads and you should be good to go. When working right the brakes on the 1800 are very good.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Hey fellers!

My VTX1800s is having a problem stopping. Rear brakes are basically not exsistent, and the front break locks with the slightest amount of touch. I know I need to replace my brake pads but is that going to be enough? It seems like if I put to much rear brake it will lock the fronts too. I know the brakes are linked in a way that rear brakes also does something like 1/3 of the front brakes. I don't want to spend the money or spend the time if it's not going to fix my issue. ALSO, still getting used to using this site, is this where I post these questions? Is there a sub board I need to go to?

If I just need to replace the pads I need a suggestion as to who makes the best. I would rather quality over cheap. Thanks in advance!
You are right, the 1800 uses a linked braking system on the rear brake. It pumps one of the front pistons as well when applied. Or is this called "distributed" system? I can never remember.

But I agree with the guys, I'd bleed the system first to ensure there is no air in it which is the most common cause of bad braking.
Did this start happening all-of-a-sudden or with a slow mild onset? Is the brake pedal "mushy" or soft? Does it go to the floor(board)?

FWIW, this post is in the correct subforum, no worries.

Lou

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Hey fellers!

Few questions before you dig into it:

-Is this a new (to you) bike?
-Do you have experience with the VTX 1800?
-Are your brakes (master and slave cylinders)
OEM?
-How did you check the rear brake? (Did you lift
the bike?)
-Did you have the chance to compare (the feel of)
your front and rear brakes to an other VTX 1800?

The 1800 has very good (strong) brakes even compared to sport bikes and in the same time the rear brake may seem non existent to those who are not familiar with the linked brake system.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Hey fellers!

My VTX1800s is having a problem stopping. Rear brakes are basically not exsistent, and the front break locks with the slightest amount of touch.
When you apply the back brake?.....no back brake , but front locks? Or front locks when applying only front brake?

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts