Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Has any of you experienced an oily sludge at the bottom of the air box assembly? Any idea what causes this? I cleaned it out while replacing my air filter and it seems that the sludge is coming from a small hole in the bottom of the air box. I used a q-tip to clean a lot of this crud out. I have included a photo of the q-tip in the hole that I'm talking about. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,565 Posts
the stuff is oil coming from your breather tube which comes from the valve covers on each cylinder head. At the bottom of your air box there is a breather tube drain. Just qwist the the plug out and let it drain. Its located next to your idle knob screw.

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
Yes that is normal.....oil vapors collect at the bottom of the air cleaner from crankcase ventilation. As mentioned there is a drain tube to remove it when it collects. Just drain it once in a while and your all set. Perfectly normal for the tube to fill up and even have a little in the air box.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I removed the plug you mentioned about a week ago and all I got was a couple drops of condensate water. I did not get any of the black sludge at all. I may remove the air box and inspect the hoses to make sure they are clear. Again... thanks. This board rocks!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Also happens more if you run an ethanol mix compared to pure gasoline. The ethanol attracts and binds with moisture, and causes some real nasty sludge. I've even noticed it on the gasket of my gas cap. Nasty stuff!!

I started running pure gasoline, and it's much better.
CW

1 - 6 of 6 Posts