Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went on a poker run today and had a great time. during the run the person behind me said when I throttled up there was a small puff of black smoke comming from the exhaust, it was only a puff and then the bike appeared to run clean.

My question is: Is it normal to have a small puff of black smoke when you hit the gas, or do I have a problem? I just did the Clayton Mod, but I have no other modifications...yet.

Someone mentioned my plugs might be fouled, but I don't feel any drop in performace...

·
Registered
628 Posts
With my sport bike, that would happen when the engine would be running rich. Do you get much sut on the back of any the exhaust tips?

On my 900 if u cranked it it would come out, (older bike) cleaned out the carbs, now I never ever get the black on it. Could be for some reason running rich, maybe an inbalance with airflow somewhere?

Do you get it when u crank it? or just one u pull slightly on it.

- josh

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Initial takeoff and I'm not getting any soot on the tail pipe, I think you might be right about it running rich...

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah thats usually what it is, u just have to find out why its running rich, maybe not getting enough air and over balance with fuel? Just ideas

·
Registered
549 Posts
not a problem

I really would'nt be to concerned, just my guess, but I think its that you are not in favor of the first POPE balloting.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Is it on initial take off from a stop
or when hitting the throttle from cruise?

Nothing to worry about, it's just the extra fuel from the accel. pump
if it's from a stop you are probably rich on your idle screw
If it is throttling up from a low speed cruise you are rich on the needle.
You would be amazed how much your AF ratio changes with a half a
needle position or a 1/4 turn on the screw.
Spencer :twisted:

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Holy Smokes! -- Maybe your bike's actually a cardinal and it just hasn't been able to select a new pope yet
(at which time you'd then see some white smoke...). :wink:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips and the Pope jokes, I'm glad to see you guys watch more the just cartoons and wrestling. :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts