Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Been thinking about this today. Would it be better to work at this with flapper disc vs regular sanding discs? My goal is to remove surface rust/flaking paint and give paint something to adhere to.

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
more pics
on the trailer frame you might try some 'chemical paint and rust stripper' I don't recall the brand name I used... it was a very jelly like and off-white in color, came in 1 gallon can.
Yard Friendly - Probably not. But I use to use the stuff to strip steel CO2 cylinders and it worked Great. Brush it on, let it dry, wash it off. Dry and Paint...

I'm sure flapper discs on an 9" angle grinder would work as well, but the size of your new toy would make that a WHOLE LOT of work!
Could turn the cleaning project into a party... Invite the gang over, hand everyone a beer and a sanding block and tell to go-for-it! >:) Hmmm.... Maybe start with a couple Kegs and a case of 16oz Solo cups... That's a BIG BBQ!!!

Whatever you do, Take Pictures as you go!!

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
This looks like something I've seen people use for a small business for parties looking for someone to manage an event bar-b-q.

Hope you make the best of it.

·
Registered
4,243 Posts
Wow, that is a monster! I couldn't afford the propane for that, much less the beer, pork, chicken, it would take to make it useful.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Actually it cost me less than $12 in split oak to run it for basically two days. It now has 3 coats of high heat paint on smoker and trailer!

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Actually it cost me less than $12 in split oak to run it for basically two days. It now has 3 coats of high heat paint on smoker and trailer!
PICS or it never happened!!!!!>:)

·
Registered
9,430 Posts
Here's a little before and after picture.
Looking Good and I see a little smoke - does it draw in the neighbors looking for dinner :wink2:

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I painted it then let it sit for a few days then fired it up for a few hours to really cure the paint. I took a wire cup mounted to the polisher to the 6 racks and got them cleaned and then seasoned them with Crisco. The seasoning of the paint seasoned the racks also. While it was doing all of this I filled a pump sprayer with vegetable oil and soaked down the entire inside of the smoker so that seasoned the smoker body as well. Then this past weekend we fired it up and did some cooking: ribs, picnic pork, and some sausage. My neighbor brought the sausages over (hand-made) and they cooked for a few hours and all of it came out great. I was very impressed.

I only put the fire in the center section of the smoker and cooked on the center racks. This worked out very well and I was pretty surprised at how it was pretty easy to control the temperature.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts