Honda VTX Forum banner

Smurfy71 2008 VTX 1300T

7K views 54 replies 5 participants last post by  smurfy71 
#1 · (Edited)
I love this idea of having a spot to keep all my notes and logs.

Aug 22/18 - Took delivery of the VTX, 31,000KM (19,000 miles)
Bike came with Batwing, Tsukayu hard bags with signals incorporated, Mustang Seat with drivers backrest, aftermarket exhaust and an Alpine stereo, all installed.
Owner had a collection of stock items that came with the bike, windshield, exhaust, seat, leather Hondaline saddlebags (and mounts). I discovered in the bags, a windshield bag, cupholder, stock air filter and licence plate holder.

Aug 23/18 registered bike with a temporary plate until I could get a safety inspection done. Went to go for a ride. Bike was running very poorly, sputtering and backfires. After a short ride this cleared up, but not 100%. Thinking about the stock air filter in the parts collection, I checked the airbox, finding a K&N filter. I replaced it with the stock filter and the bike ran as it should, and continues to do so.

Aug 24/18 Took the day off work to get the safety inspection done, it passed without issue. Completed the registration process and took a long ride to get acquainted with the bike. I decided I would not use the stereo, nor did I like the appearance of it, so I removed it and all the wiring. Sold it the next morning. Swapped the LED headlight bulb from my Shadow into the VTX.

Aug 27/18 Ordered Oxford Heaterz, heated grips. The one thing I felt this bike was missing.

See less See more
#3 ·
September 10/18
Installed the Oxford Heaterz Premium grips. Wired them to a relay so the power is a switched source. Oxford says that they are "smart" and will turn off when the bike is not running. I have the standard Heaterz on my Shadow and found that they can still run the battery down if left on.

#4 ·
Last week I picked up my VTX Daymaker from my US postal address. Today I was working on my sled and decided when I was done that today is the day to install the Daymaker. As little is actually done at the bike, I removed the headlight and brought it in the house. Swapped out the old for the new. Followed the directions to a T. The bezel ring seems snug in the chrome bezel of the light bucket, hopefully it won’t interfere with the adjustment of the light.

Took it out and plugged it in and put the light in the bucket. The X is tucked in for the winter, so I was able to test it, but adjustment will need to wait until the spring.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom sounds.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/m...08-honda-vtx-1300t-16842-picture71386-vtx.jpg

#5 ·
March 16:
Moved things around in the garage to get the X out of the winter spot and into her parking spot. Started adjusting the Daymaker. This took much longer than expected. The ring that holds the light in the bucket was preventing adjustment. I had to sand it down to give it room to move in the bezel. After several attempts I finally got it so it moves enough.

Put the tire pressure monitoring system on that I got for Christmas. And swapped out my 12v plug for a 2 port USB charger with a built in voltage meter.

Next up will be the oil and final drive changes. It was good to hear her roar again.

https://www.hondashadow.net/forum/m...08-honda-vtx-1300t-16842-picture71386-vtx.jpg

#6 ·
#12 ·
May 18, 2019

I purchased a Hondaline lightbar off a member of this forum and took a few hours to install it on the weekend. It looks great, I can't wait to see how it lights up the road at night. I purchased a set of H3 LED bulbs to replace the halogen bulbs that came in it.

I also replaced the taillight with a LED kit, and a smoked lens. The lights can also be connected to the signals, however I already have LED signals built into my saddle bags, so for now I left them disconnected.

#17 ·
May 18, 2019

I purchased a Hondaline lightbar off a member of this forum and took a few hours to install it on the weekend. It looks great, I can't wait to see how it lights up the road at night. I purchased a set of H3 LED bulbs to replace the halogen bulbs that came in it.

I also replaced the taillight with a LED kit, and a smoked lens. The lights can also be connected to the signals, however I already have LED signals built into my saddle bags, so for now I left them disconnected.

Do you still have the Brand and part number for the H3 LED bulbs you put in your driving lights?
So many choices on ebay and dont want to pick an inferior product.

Thanks if you can supply the P/N and brand.

#13 ·
Thursday night I was leading a ride and the guy behind me at a stop asked if I was using my signals. I was, but apparently the left rear wasn’t working.

Today I dug into it, was a simple issue, the wire running from my saddlebag LED lights on the left were rubbing on the tire under the fender. Went through the plastic wire guard, the insulation and then broke the hot wire. There was a 1 inch section I had to cut out, join it back together and heat shrink. Fixed.

I figured while I was at it, I’d connect the taillight signals as well. Now there’s a back up.

https://www.vtxoa.com/forums/members/95246-smurfy71-albums-my-vtx1300-picture40314-img-1373.jpg

#29 ·
March 28, 2020

Finally out for a ride!

Got back and decided to get at putting the 4.5 inch risers on the bike. Pretty simple, I was nervous about drilling out the holes for the larger bolt, but it was nothing.

Took less than an hour all told. I think they are in a good spot, but I’ll take a ride and see. Just sitting there it feels good to it have to reach as far.

Having some issues with Tapatalk and pictures today. I’ll add them later.

#31 ·
April 18/20
Progressive 412 shocks arrived, Standard duty, 12 inch. Took 30 mins to swap them out with the stockers. Great shocks, first impression is I like them!

May 9/20
Last couple of rides the tripmeter was randomly resetting itself after shutting the bike off. Most recent ride, it was resetting everytime I shut the bike off. Previously removed the gauge to inspect wiring, removed and inspected fuse, cleaned fuse and returned with some dielectric grease. Removed tank to inspect and clean the ground.

Replaced vacuum lines: carb to petcock, to block to pair control valve. Found a screw in the old line at the control valve, closing off vacuum. Screw was not replaced, does not seem to have caused and issue.

May 10/20
Test ride, 100 km, no vacuum related issues, no popping on decel. No resetting of the trips. Made several stops and shut the bike off along the way.

#32 ·
May 23

Washed the bike and while doing so I saw the gauge wires had come untucked from under the tank. After washing and while the bike was running I tucked them back up, trip reset. I started to manipulate the wires and it wasn’t until I got to the green connectors that I go it to do it again. The wires are all wrapped up pretty tight there and it felt like the one connector wasn’t quite clicked in. I took them both apart put some dielectric grease in and snapped them back together. I added a zip tie to hold the wires in place. Did a 300 mile test ride on May 24th and had no issues.

Follow up on the screw in the vacuum hose, I’ve rode about 800 miles since removing it, the bike runs no different.

#42 ·
Okay, last summer I bought the F1 fog light kit from VTXDAYMAKER and never took the time to install them. I had to buy a new set of buckets for them as they don’t fit in the Hondaline ones.

Wired the DRL to the DRL from the signal, wired the signal to the signal and the fogs to the existing switched fogs power. Easy peasy.

Sitting on my VTX making vroom vroom noises.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.