Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the bike with a windshield and haven't taken off until today while I was washing the bike. I liked how it looked so I took it for a spin... not as bad as I thought. (80mph) I have a switchblade quick release shield that's fairly large in size and it has always caused some buffeting around my head which bothered my ears.... I never really cared for it. I'll probably leave it off for a while but once I know I'll be in the dark I'll want to put it back on for the bugs.

I do wear large sunglasses and ear plugs so the wind factor isn't really an issue. The wind is smoother without the shield, just more of it.
here it is without the shield... love how it looks.

Photo May 04, 16 17 37.jpg
Any ideas about the weird buffeting with the shield on? My guess is the shield isn't a proper match for the bike and "it is what it is."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Buffeting

I've got an XC with a 2-up switchblade and I added lowers for the buffeting. It removed 100% of problem from the left side and 85% of it from the right. (pipe side)

NC makes lowers that fit on the switchblade mounts.

·
Registered
9,791 Posts
and some .. you can change the angle of the shield..

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The less on the bike the better. Wind is part of riding. To me these itty bitty windshields are puzzling. Not sure what they do and from what I read they make things worse. If I need wind protection I would need a full size shield but then I have to look through it, which I would not like at all.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Shredder, I had a National Cycle Deflector screen on my 1800. I don't like full shields, partly because like you I just prefer less stuff on the bike, but also because I do like some wind and don't like riding in a bubble. I wanted something to take away some of the wind blast on the highway, and the deflector screen did just that without any buffeting. There are alternatives if you want more than nothing but less than a full shield. ;)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. I'm going to leave it off for a while and research some smaller options. The bike looks so much better without a full windshield.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm unfamiliar with "lowers." Are they a brand of shield or an attachment?

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
I'm unfamiliar with "lowers." Are they a brand of shield or an attachment?
Here's a copy/pasta

"Chrome Lowers improve the performance of your windshield by preventing unwanted turbulence around your waist and unwanted updrafts on your back. Chrome Lowers can be used together with a SwitchBlade®, Heavy Duty™ or Dakota 4.5™ windshield and a National Cycle Light Bar for an integrated front end appearance.

National Cycle engineers their Chrome Lowers with their other accessories for proper clearance and performance. They consider Chrome Lowers a key component to your front end look and guarantee the fit of the product with their SwitchBlade, Heavy Duty and Dakota Windshields, and with their Light Bars.

Superb polishing and chrome plating make National Cycle Chrome Lowers really stand out.

Designed specifically to fit with our innovative SwitchBlade windshield mounts. A SwitchBlade Mount Kit is required to fit these particular Chrome Lowers."

Also, type "national cycle switchblade lowers" into a search engine.

And, here is the page from National Cycles website:

http://shop.nationalcycle.com/perl/cycle/N76601

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link. I've seen those before and have never known what they were really for.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
lowers, lowers, lowers..a windshield is not really effective without 'em..
The windshield was supposed to protect the rider from wind. Now we find out that we need to hang another piece off the bike to correct for the problem the windshield is creating . No thanks.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I bought my 04 1300C it hd no shield. I had been used to bikes with no shield when I bought it. Down the road some I figured the X was my main bike and I wanted to ride longer in the season so I bought a used MS shield to try to stop some of the coldness of the wind. Once I put the shield on, it would make the wind just beat the hell out of me..My head felt as if it was in a freaking washing machine. I tried different heights, angles, adjustments, etc...Nothing helped. I decided to bite the bullet and bought a MS fairing. Much better for keeping the wind off me and I get very little buffeting. It is quick detach but I never take it off...last October I bought an 03 HD Roadking classic. It has a full shield on it. Right after buying it coming home I was out on the highway at 70 mph and the protection from wind was great and pretty much no buffeting. If I sit up straight I look over it and if I slouch I look thru it. Like everyone else said, I prefer the look with no shield but I also do like the protection from wind, cold AND rain with one...

·
Registered
165 Posts
I also have a Switchblade shield. And I also like the looks without the shield.

I pretty much only use it when riding a long distance, or in cold weather.

If it is above 50, I take the shield off. I do not like to ride with a jacket and the shield off because my jacket billows too much.

I also like the feel of the wind so I really do not like riding with a shield.

I have taken it off for the season. This morning I just went with a hoodie and my vest and was fine. This afternoon, I will forgo the hoodie and just use the vest.

Today should be a beautiful day.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I did run with a Smaller Windshield when I had my 1300.
I hate the look of Large Windshields on a Bike.
If I'm going to sit behind that much of a windshield I'll take the car. lol
Now I have a Fairing and love it !

Like the OP... I like the "Less Is More"
But BUG Season might make you put that Shield back on. lol

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Left it off this morning on the way to work. I may not like it as much as I thought. It's a 30 minute drive and I wasn't a fan of the small pebbles I got hit with. (crappy oklahoma highways, half helmet, big sunglasses)

What are some good smaller shields... not sure the term...sport shield? half shields? deflectors? I don't want a fairing and I'd like to stay away from putting the big shield back on.

·
Registered
5,899 Posts
Got the X all stripped of the bags and windshield, even went back to a solo seat.

Much better.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I ride with a medimum size shield without lowers. I have found that on highway runs there is a stream of air that comes up by the tank and blows up my nose! Tickles the crap out of the hairs hanging out. I have to trim the buggers on long trips BUT the shield does make a difference if you are riding 600 to 900 miles a day. I "Leather-faced" it to Sturgis once from Ohio and I found that taking all of the wind in the chest and face really tired out the arms, of all things.

My advise, if you are doing a couple hunderd miules take it off and enjoy the view but if you are putting in 10 plus hours of ride time, you'll be glad you got something to break wind beside your chest!

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
The X DOES look better naked, they are good looking bikes. But riding in bugs, rain, gravel, cold makes the shield look a bit better. I have a feeling most guys with no protection whatsoever aren't riding hours on end in less than perfect weather..... :roll:

Nothing beats a fairing imo after 8 hours on the fly.....

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had a Memphis shades windscreen, tried lowers, made no difference to the buffeting...

Bought a Batwing - no buffeting. No lowers. Plus I can ride naked whenever I want as Batwing is a quick release.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts