Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking about doing the rear shock mod where you cut out an 1.5" off the spring. The only problem is my wife rides all the time with me and I thought that i might have read somewhere that when you do this mod, it makes the ride a lot stiffer. I would love to do it but i dont want her being miserable back there either. Lets face it , the ride is supposed to be fun! So if any of you guys have done this mod and ride double, Id sure like to hear what ya think about it, from the passengers perspective.

Thanks Guys

·
Registered
61 Posts
+I had mine cut down by pony and I love the look, I have not rode 2 up yet ( need a second for that) but I have not noticed much of a change in stiffness. But I also am running a car tire at 40lbs pressure. Pluse I weight about 150lbs. But I have also read of a stiffnes being felt by others.

·
Sweet Thing
439 Posts
Just put lowering shocks on my 1300C last night and it definitely makes a difference in the ride. It looks great and for the first time ever I was able to flat foot it. Based only on the change in mine from stock to shortened, I think your wife would hate the feel. The whole bike feels stiffer but that's nothing until you hit a bump or some RR tracks. It's definitely a hard jolt that will take a little getting used to.

Also, for eveyone else. Make sure you check you shock mounting bolts. I ride with my hard bags on most of the time and have neglected checking these for a while. When we took them off to change the shocks we realized I had been an accident waiting to happen as the top bolts on both my shocks were very loose.

jeni

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks very much for your insight on this. I dont think im going to be doing this mod after all. If it makes it no fun for her, i can garuntee you it wont be fun for me. I can do withoput the shorter shocks.

Thanks again.

Hunter

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
hey bro.......i do these

the ride is slightly stiffer once modded. once modded i suggest that you not run them set at 4 or 5......1,2 or 3 is fine. i ride 2up alot with my lady and together we're about 280/300 lbs........she says she doesn't notice a real difference in the ride

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pony,

Trust me i know you do these mods, and from what i heard, you are the man!-- however, i am broke , and would do it myself.. but believe me if i had the money and was sure the mod wouldnt bother her.. i'd be calling ya!.. but thanks for the info.. with her and i on we are about 300 even. I just really, realy dont want her not wanting to ride anymore cause she truly loves to go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Im thinking about doing the rear shock mod where you cut out an 1.5" off the spring. The only problem is my wife rides all the time with me and I thought that i might have read somewhere that when you do this mod, it makes the ride a lot stiffer. I would love to do it but i dont want her being miserable back there either. Lets face it , the ride is supposed to be fun! So if any of you guys have done this mod and ride double, Id sure like to hear what ya think about it, from the passengers perspective.

Thanks Guys
What model? If you have floor boards you have to consider hitting the turns. I would not mod the shocks they are not that great to begin with.You can pony up to some progressives 11.5...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Pony,

Trust me i know you do these mods, and from what i heard, you are the man!-- however, i am broke , and would do it myself.. but believe me if i had the money and was sure the mod wouldnt bother her.. i'd be calling ya!.. but thanks for the info.. with her and i on we are about 300 even. I just really, realy dont want her not wanting to ride anymore cause she truly loves to go.
not a problem bro....just tryin to offer up some info. enjoy your ride bro and there's nuthin like a happy missus :thumbup:

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
I had mine cut down. Girls didn't have any problems at all being passengers until the shock fluid in one of my shocks drained all the way out. NOw I have a much bumpier ride. I don't want to do that mod again. I want to pay the extra and get the progessives. but since I ride to work and mostly ride alone, I enjoy being more flat footed with the shorter shocks.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I had mine cut down. Girls didn't have any problems at all being passengers until the shock fluid in one of my shocks drained all the way out. NOw I have a much bumpier ride. I don't want to do that mod again. I want to pay the extra and get the progessives. but since I ride to work and mostly ride alone, I enjoy being more flat footed with the shorter shocks.
who did your mod shuterbug.....progressives and modded stockers have both been known to leak sometime. modded stockers run a little higher risk if you run them set at 4 or 5.......i've done over 200 sets now and only had problems with leaks 2 times....both were set at 4 or 5.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I had mine cut down 2". I ride 2 up 50% of the time and my wife is content ridding. it has been about 5 years now and personally I think it is a better feel then before especially 2 up. It is just not as mushy as it was before they were cut down. If it is something you want to do, I say go for it. You will notice more difference solo then 2 up. There's just is not a huge change.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You know this is just what i wanted, your opinions, and i value them all because i dont know what it will be liek if i do the mod. Thats why i requested you all's help.

Thanks a million !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts