Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After about five years of modifying my V-Star 1100 (photo at bottom) I sold it, giving me $$ to buy another 'pony' for the stable. What I decided on was the Yamaha Raider 1900. I was shopping for the Bullet Cowl, (all black) but they are rare and the one I found was priced too high. I got a good deal on a 2009 XV1900 Liquid Silver version with only 12K miles purchased for $6, 300.00 out the door. As you can tell from the photo's it's in new condition and it came with an aftermarket Mustang super plush touring seat I'm going to sell ASAP because it's not my style.

I did a lot of research on the bike and it has a reputation first of being a MONSTER power-wise, (I can attest to this) and secondly the bike is mega reliable based on comments from long time owners.

I really enjoy customizing bikes, so I'm excited and full of ideas for this 'blank canvas' of an art project. I've already purchase a lower seat and will remove the passenger pillion, plus I've ordered a kit that integrates the rear turn signals into the brake light so I can pull off everything under the tail lamp and relocate the license to the side. I already removed the tank chrome off the sides and pulled the passenger pegs (I ride alone).

I've been up nights thinking about what color to repaint it (leaning toward a burgundy metalflake) and I'm going to blacken the rims so just the little silver 'spoke' parts are left showing. I've ordered some black clubman handlebars that should bring the riding position back more and a few inches higher and the pipes have got to go as soon as I can decide which ones to buy (likely will be black).

The stock mufflers wimp out the beautiful rumble potential of the engine so I've already drilled out the muffler (4 1/2" holes in each) and it improved the 'growl' and is safe to do per the Raider forums.

You 1800 owners already know what it's like to have raw torque/power at your fingertips, but this thing is another 50+ cc's and makes me worry I'm going to start racking up speeding tickets like I did in my crotch rocket days (e.g. modified Suzuki GS1100) (((YIKES))). If you Google 'custom Yamaha Raider' you'll see how beautiful this bike can be customized and just like with my V-Star 1100 I'll be modifying this one as time and $$$ allows. FUN!!!

SOLD THIS ONE:

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Nice HOP. A blank slate to play with. The 1900s were a solid mill. Can't speak for the trans though. A buddy of mine has a 1700 Road Star and has a gazillion miles on it. It's been everywhere.

Enjoy, be safe.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Sold a pony, bought a pony Nah !

You sold a pony and bought a big horse ! 😎

Congratulations on your new project. Should be a lot of fun. Keep us updated with pictures on your progress.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First plans are to make it more comfortable, meaning lower the bike, get a low profile seat, and handlebars that let me sit back more (reaching forward a little now). Pipes have gotta go and I like the ones in the photo below, but may do chrome and wrap 3/4 down with black wrap to set off the chrome tips. Going to get the low fender shown on the red bike below, and also the chin spoiler is a must have.

I can't decide on a paint color yet, but I'm prone to dark reds (burgundy or brandy-wine) with small metal-flake and may blacken the rear fender side mounts and tank chrome. We'll see....

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Very nice HOP. Just me but, I think some 3/4 length upsweeps would look great on that bike. Enjoy it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts