Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 17 years, I decided I needed a change of pace. I was craving a lighter, smaller bike that I could just hop on and head for the corner grocery store or take a spin around town. My 700 lb 2005 VTX1300C was not it. I chose four venues for the sale; craigslist, Facebook Marketplace, offer up and the classified board right here. It took me 11 days to sell and the winner was.... FB Marketplace. I had never bought or sold anything there. My go to place has always been craigslist. I did get hits there but nothing came of it. FB/MP generated the most inquiries but many did not amount to much. Got a ton of " is this still available" questions, then nothing. Lots of low balls too that did not even merit a reply. Didn't expect much from Offer Up, and it did not disappoint. VTXOA takes the cake for generating zero responses and obviously no offers. Frankly, I am not surprised. Most people here already have one. It was not an easy process. Next time, I might just trade it in. The only savings grace was that the guy who bought it loved it. Anyway, I'll probably stick around. There are plenty of topics I still love to read.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. Seemed simpler back when it was just the local papers classifieds. Though many more people see these electronical (sic) ads. So, what are you going to get? Please do stick around ol' timer.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It takes time to sell bikes using online listings. If you aren't in a rush, list it for a fair price and can weed through the waste questions, it works. Forums like these are for people looking to buy a second VTX. I sold my zx12r to a fellow forum member, he knew my posts, and drove 20 hrs with a buddy to buy it on the spot as a more reliable well maintained second 12r.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Market place worked well for me. easy to attach pics and the sale was fast, which of course makes me think I should have asked more $$. Sold so quick I never bothered with any other ad and would never trade it in dealers are such rip off artists.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For those wondering how much a used VTX 1300 is worth, I would say my $3500 tag was tops, at least for a 2005. I sold it for a few hundred bucks less but toward the end I was getting serious offers for the full price. I am happy. 17 years of riding and still getting $3500 or so for it is not a bad deal. I am guessing I would have gotten closer to 2 grand if traded it in but I am not sure. Considering how thin new inventories are, I expected a quicker sale.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Sorry that you had to let her go. But 11 days is incredibly fast, compared to previous years. It used to take months to sell a bike. But due to the global shortages, these sell like hot cakes.

Did you tell the buyer about this website? Will he join, you think?

·
Registered
17 Posts
For those wondering how much a used VTX 1300 is worth, I would say my $3500 tag was tops, at least for a 2005. I sold it for a few hundred bucks less but toward the end I was getting serious offers for the full price. I am happy. 17 years of riding and still getting $3500 or so for it is not a bad deal. I am guessing I would have gotten closer to 2 grand if traded it in but I am not sure. Considering how thin new inventories are, I expected a quicker sale.
How many miles did it have?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry that you had to let her go. But 11 days is incredibly fast, compared to previous years. It used to take months to sell a bike. But due to the global shortages, these sell like hot cakes.

Did you tell the buyer about this website? Will he join, you think?
Slight correction. My first ad went up July 14 so it's more like 2 weeks. Still pretty good but somehow it felt long. The pace of serious inquiries picked up quite a bit towards the end but $3500 was clearly as much as the market would bear. You also learn pretty quick how to tell real buyers. Here is a fake buyer: $2000? I bet the was not even biker. I either didn't answer or gave him a flip answer. BTW, the bike had 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
You were lucky to have no scammers. I got a coupla texters supposedly from outback Western Australia who really wanted the bike (supposedly) and they had no internet coverage where they were, but could get their courier to pick up the bike and deliver it to them. Just give me your bank details and I will foreward the money. Yeah, sure!

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
You were lucky to have no scammers. I got a coupla texters supposedly from outback Western Australia who really wanted the bike (supposedly) and they had no internet coverage where they were, but could get their courier to pick up the bike and deliver it to them. Just give me your bank details and I will foreward the money. Yeah, sure!
Haha, yeah. You sound a lot like me. We have an expression, "I might have fallen off the back of the turnip truck (due to my own stupidity), but it wasn't yesterday!"

Reactions: lofty
1 - 10 of 10 Posts