Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well - I'm hoping this helps someone. I scoured what seems like hundreds of "how to's" on broken bolt removal. And it just seemed hopeless. Here's what happened...

I have been chasing decel pop in my new V&H exhaust for quite a while now. I've replaced crush gaskets, I've done the pair valve removal, I've monkey with the A/F. Nothing has worked. So while I am waiting on my air cutoff valve repair diaphragm (as suggested in another post) to arrive - I decided while the bike was HOT... that maybe it'd be a good idea to give my already washered acorn nuts on my exhaust a little tightening up.

So just a little tightening up here and there... and then I get to my back exhaust port screw and am surprised at how easy it spins.... only to realized like a dumbarsicle I snapped it off. I remove the entire exhaust and for the last 3 days I've been PBlastering it, heating, vice gripping, tapping, swearing, praying... then decided it was time to bore it out and use an extractor set. Well the idea of boring scared the bejeezus out of me... so i just kept searching.

Well I searched all over trying to find "the one" to get... and I ran across this -> [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKEBG9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

ARES 70016 - Damaged Bolt and Stud Extractor Tool - Grips and Removes 1/4-Inch to 1/2-Inch Studs - Ideal for Broken, Rounded Off, Painted Over, and Rusted Tight Bolts

I tried it the first time... and it began spinning. I thought for sure that it was the tool slipping... only to see the stud backing out, and came out clean. PTL - I cannot describe how thankful I was. So I thought to post in the hopes it helps someone else.

Attachments

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well - I'm hoping this helps someone. I scoured what seems like hundreds of "how to's" on broken bolt removal. And it just seemed hopeless. Here's what happened...

I have been chasing decel pop in my new V&H exhaust for quite a while now. I've replaced crush gaskets, I've done the pair valve removal, I've monkey with the A/F. Nothing has worked. So while I am waiting on my air cutoff valve repair diaphragm (as suggested in another post) to arrive - I decided while the bike was HOT... that maybe it'd be a good idea to give my already washered acorn nuts on my exhaust a little tightening up.

So just a little tightening up here and there... and then I get to my back exhaust port screw and am surprised at how easy it spins.... only to realized like a dumbarsicle I snapped it off. I remove the entire exhaust and for the last 3 days I've been PBlastering it, heating, vice gripping, tapping, swearing, praying... then decided it was time to bore it out and use an extractor set. Well the idea of boring scared the bejeezus out of me... so i just kept searching.

Well I searched all over trying to find "the one" to get... and I ran across this -> [ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKEBG9I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

ARES 70016 - Damaged Bolt and Stud Extractor Tool - Grips and Removes 1/4-Inch to 1/2-Inch Studs - Ideal for Broken, Rounded Off, Painted Over, and Rusted Tight Bolts

I tried it the first time... and it began spinning. I thought for sure that it was the tool slipping... only to see the stud backing out, and came out clean. PTL - I cannot describe how thankful I was. So I thought to post in the hopes it helps someone else.
that same stud was broken on my VTX1800 when I purchased the bike. I welded an oversized nut to what was left of it then backed it out. Pain in the a$$.

·
Old Goat
24,193 Posts
Congrats OP....Only 17 pounds of torque required....for me is a dollop of anti seize and German torque specs....”Guden Tight”. Good luck

·
Registered
181 Posts
MrAnudo,
Man I feel your pain! One of friends had the done the same thing to his 1300. It took us hours to finally get that thing out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts