Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I ended up going with Harley light housings and Kuryakyn Tracer LEDs, couldn’t really find anything else I liked, Captain Velcro was helpful in selling me his OEM 1300 turn signal bar, which I might use if I can get the headlight cowl installed (still searching for brackets).

for those that don’t know or remember, this is a 2005 VTX1800 F2. Back in 2006 I did a 240 phat tire conversion and then used the oem rear fender, cut and widened it to fit the tire and incorporated a custom “X” taillight.

Handle bars are CP drag bars with and Aeromach 6” risers with a 2” pull back. The seat was made by SoCal Seats in 2006 and I had the Tribal flames added to match paint

The custom sun cuts and engraving were done back in 2006 by a (former?) member named “bones”. I think he is the owner of xchoppers.com but not 100% on that.

Anyhow. She is up and running, Did a bit over a 100 miles today and she handles great, everything is working except the pressure switch for my rear brake light (converted to a pressure switch when I had the custom forward controls made).

The forward controls are badly pitted and I am going to tear them down and have them powder coated black in the next few weeks.

2C15E078-E691-4EF7-8A9C-13FFDBBED38C.jpeg

·
Registered
9,144 Posts
So I ended up going with Harley light housings and Kuryakyn Tracer LEDs, couldn’t really find anything else I liked, Captain Velcro was helpful in selling me his OEM 1300 turn signal bar, which I might use if I can get the headlight cowl installed (still searching for brackets).

for those that don’t know or remember, this is a 2005 VTX1800 F2. Back in 2006 I did a 240 phat tire conversion and then used the oem rear fender, cut and widened it to fit the tire and incorporated a custom “X” taillight.

Handle bars are CP drag bars with and Aeromach 6” risers with a 2” pull back. The seat was made by SoCal Seats in 2006 and I had the Tribal flames added to match paint

The custom sun cuts and engraving were done back in 2006 by a (former?) member named “bones”. I think he is the owner of xchoppers.com but not 100% on that.

Anyhow. She is up and running, Did a bit over a 100 miles today and she handles great, everything is working except the pressure switch for my rear brake light (converted to a pressure switch when I had the custom forward controls made).

The forward controls are badly pitted and I am going to tear them down and have them powder coated black in the next few weeks.

View attachment 187874
View attachment 187880
View attachment 187882 View attachment 187883
View attachment 187884
Sweet! Luv that X tail.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nice job on your rear fender!!
Some pics of how you did the X light or a write up would be great 👍
Beautiful bike!

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Beautiful bike!
Oh lord that was 15 years ago, I will look and see if I have any images of the build.

I can tell you that the X was water jet cut into the fender after it was cut, widened, welded.

it was done by a company called SoCal Water Cuts which was a sister company to SoCal Seats, both of which have been out of business for 8-10 years as far as I Know.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looking good! By chance do you know the manufacture of the tail lights on the fender struts ? I like that look.
Bought the light housings here:

the LED tracer lights are Kuryakyn 2902 Tracer Lights: they pop in to the above housings, a snug fit, but they work with no modification.

You will also need some 1157 sockets:

to mount them you have to drill a second hole in the fender strut and fender to feed the wires, I already had a hole from the previous lights that were there, so not an issue for me. Also they have an alignment tab on them that feed into the second hole to get them to mount straight, you could file it off if you mount them with hollow bolts like these:

but you would need to find the right thread pitch, the light housings are SAE and most of these type bolts are Metric, The housing are aluminum and of decent quality, so you might be able to re-thread them with a tap and die tool.

since I already had the second hole I just used it.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Beautiful bike!

wow found the pictures in photobucket, which I haven't used since they went to a monthly fee system

inner fender support after widening:

fender cut and widened:

After Paint: 2006 or 2007 don't recall when this was taken

·
Registered
66 Posts
Very impressive, you sure did a good job putting it all together (y)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very impressive, you sure did a good job putting it all together (y)
Thank you.

back in 2005 when I started this I had a good job working for Chrysler. I had a 300c SRT as well that I fully customized. I had some good contacts in the automotive industry, and access to various fabrication systems and motor builders that allowed me to do things I envisioned with minimal expense.

I forgot how much I loved doing this stuff until I pulled the VTX out of storage.

Today I manage a server data center and spend my days writing code and managing 1200 servers and dealing with end users. Not as much fun as fabbing and customizing, but pays very well

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Where did you get the X lens?

Was that cut out of a larger " stock" piece ?
the X was water jet cut into the fender, so a big “X” hole in the fender.

The under side is a rectangular housing for the LEDs. I used a piece of prismatic acrylic (see link below) cut 6” x 4” and stuck under the X to diffuse the LED panel, The LED panel is a 6” x 4” circuit board with 260 two phase red micro leds for run and brake. Radiantz.com made the panel for me back in 2006.

so the LEDs and lens are larger than the X as they encompass the entire rectangular housing on the under side. The rectangular housing is a hinged box that drops down for service. Which at this point I need as several of the LEDs appear to be out. Likely due to moisture that got into the housing at some point.

Lens acrylic:

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Don't know if this sort of headlight bracket might be helpful, you mentioned looking for a headlight bracket.

thank you.

wasn't looking to move the headlight, was looking for mounting systems for the driving lights and turn signals. Though this might come in handy if I ever find the brackets for the hondaline cowl I have.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts