Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, something is rattling and i can't locate it. I've tried tightening everything in reach and can't seem to shake it. It's most evident at mid-range rpms in 3rd and 4th. It sound low on the bike. I'm leaning towards my HK slip ons but am not sure how I'd fix it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the slip ons, the stock header shields are still in place, right? Those are very prone to rattling due to the way they are connected at the head flange. Check there, there is a small rubber bushing (for lack of a better term) at the flange that is prone to falling out. I had the same problem with stock exhaust. In my case this rubber bushing crumbled and let the heat shield rattle. Got new one from stealer and installed it, problem didn't show up again. Run HK 2.5s now, but it worked for over 6 months until i did the upgrade.

Mike

·
Registered
151 Posts
I had a monster rattle around 3,000 rpm that sounded as if were from the engine or front somewhere. After checking and tightening every nut and bolt I could find I'd given up. I took it to Cowboy Honda in Beaumont and David, the service mgr. found it in 10 seconds. Turned out it was a loose nut under the gas tank, holding the thermostat I believe. It's an easy check . . . when it starts rattling, grasp the underedge of the tank and pull up firmly and hold. If it stops you've found your nut. At least the one making noise. :wink:
Geezer

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. I'll check over all of these so as to cover the bases. You are all both scholars and gentlemen. Take it easy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts