Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Viking charger/maintainer, as it says on the box. Wouldn't this do the job of a trickle charger too or does it have to be the Battery Tender? I've lost a lot of batteries to cold weather storage.

·
Registered
12,046 Posts
It should work as a maintainer.
Junk mentioned a few time by people that posted.

Search "reviews" for your device.

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Old Goat
25,487 Posts
Whats nice about the battery tender 5 year warranty.....having said that Ive got 1 battery tender and 1 yuasa ...jr. is faster...... .good luck

Reactions: SUMDATX

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a couple of WalMart motorcycle battery trickle chargers -- charged the battery on the wife's Suzuki too hard and it went dry. :mad:
Got a Battery Tender and am very pleased -- a dual charger in one. Of course, I went with AGM batteries several years ago. The one in my X lasted almost 8 years, on a Battery Tender every day I'm not riding. So many positive posts/quotes about it, I decided to use other peoples experience.
(y)

·
Registered
6,254 Posts
I brought my battery in every Winter it was still good at 10 years

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
Stick to a Battery Tender brand. Proven performance and warranties. When I bought my '03 in '11, the PO kept it on one whenever he wasn't riding it, so the first thing I bought for the bike was a Battery Tender Jr. Between the PO and I, we got over 12 years out of the stock Yuasa battery before I decided to replace it just because it was time. I still follow the same practices, and my bike sits in an unheated garage/ barn for up to 5 months at a time over Pa. winters.

Reactions: SUMDATX and Blast

·
Registered
340 Posts
Winter doesn't kill normal batteries, heat and cycles does. The poor performance shows up in winter because things are harder to crank over when they are cold. The new lithium batteries are different extreme cold does slow them down and they wont work as good. Disconnecting a fully charged battery is a good option but better stored in a cooler environment. Battery tender is just easier. My 2 cents

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
A fully charged battery won't freeze, but one in a partial state of discharge will. The greater the discharge the sooner it will freeze. Once frozen, the likelihood of internal damage is pretty good, aka, dead battery. Lead acid types self discharge over time. Up here, by late winter, a really cold day will freeze it. Keeping on a tender will avoid that. A tender will also cycle to desulphate, making the battery last much longer. Another killer, outside of temp extremes is really deep cycles. If you kill a battery, dead, or even to the point it can't start the bike, there's an odds on chance it will never be the same. You can get lucky, but chances are ...

Lithium batteries are different. It's best to take these in for the winter. If you leave a lithium battery in the cold, and try to "maintain" it, it's likely it will fail by spring. Charging a lithium battery in extreme cold will damage the battery. Lithium cells either work or they don't. And they won't once damaged. It's about the chemistry. The electrolyte crystallizes in the extreme cold. Attempting a charge the battery in this state causes the crystals to fix and will not go back into solution. The electrolyte no longer gives up lithium ions and the battery unrecoverable. You can leave the lithium battery in the cold, just don't try to charge it until thawed.

I had more than one battery fail, even keeping it indoors over the winter. Those were before AGM batteries were really common and were flooded cell type. Keeping them on a maintainer kept them topped up. I was financially challenged at the time, so I robbed some parts from scrap electronics and built my own maintainer. It would cycle between float mode and equalization mode. I just had to make sure it was fully charged before I started so I used my car battery charger for that. Worked pretty well. I think I still have it in the back of the garage somewhere. You learn a lot about batteries when you have a certain set of skills and no money.

·
Premium Member
7,352 Posts
Been using a Battery Tender for many years never had a problem starting in spring and it gets well below 0 here at times in winter
I do the same now. The battery hasn't been out of the bike since I bought it in 2014. Still going strong.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Another thumbs up for Battery Tender brand. I don't have power in my garage (unless I fire the gen-set) so the batt. comes up for the winter and sits in the pantry on the tender. 2002 1800C, 112,000 miles. Just bought my 4th battery (because my distributor offered it at cost) and it's sitting on the shelf unopened. They don't last forever. Not in motorbikes!

·
Super Moderator
6,729 Posts

I had more than one battery fail, even keeping it indoors over the winter. Those were before AGM batteries were really common and were flooded cell type. Keeping them on a maintainer kept them topped up. I was financially challenged at the time, so I robbed some parts from scrap electronics and built my own maintainer. It would cycle between float mode and equalization mode. I just had to make sure it was fully charged before I started so I used my car battery charger for that. Worked pretty well. I think I still have it in the back of the garage somewhere. You learn a lot about batteries when you have a certain set of skills and no money.
Yessir. And you obtain a certain set of skills when you have a need and no money. I've told countless people that I learned more about cars when I used to own ones that broke often and I had to fix them myself, than I have since.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I have a small Schumacher and a large 2-200A Schumacher on wheels, also 2 of the HF $10 Centex, they all are or have maintainer modes. The small schumacher is on the 1200lt continuously year round, that bike has a reputation of not starting after 2 weeks regardless of battery condition, I suspect the culprit is the security system. F650 has lithium so that is no worries. In the winter I have 6 equipment batteries I bring in the basement. Rotate the big schumacher and the 2 centex as needed by checking voltage with a meter. Also have an unlicensed, uninsured, unregistered, diesel truck with dual batteries that may not be driven in a year or more, the big schumacher gets rolled outside to keep them above 12.5V as needed. Replaced the 2 truck batteries this summer and from the punchouts looks like they were in it for 16 years. Keep an MS Word doc with all the basement batteries listed, record the last time on charger and check and record voltage when not on the charger from time to time, anything going down towards 12V gets put on a maintainer. Since I don't have a maintainer for every battery knowing which ones drop quicker I can cycle the maintainer on them more often.

They all seem to work equally well leaving the batteries at 12.8V a day after removing them. Just too expensive to lose batteries because of not monitoring them. An acid battery with a very low charge chemically reverts back to near water so they will freeze, expand, and break open.

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I keep my Husqvarna mower on a Battery Tender as well. Sits beside the bike in the barn.

·
Old Goat
25,487 Posts
I had a perfectly good 14 year old Schumacher on the bike...swapped it out for the yuasa...no clue as to why I did that...lol...

·
Registered
7,874 Posts
I had a perfectly good 14 year old Schumacher on the bike...swapped it out for the yuasa...no clue as to why I did that...lol...
Phil.....really? A Biden moment? LOL It happens at our ages.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts