Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm a new member to the forum but have been looking around on the site for a while. I decided that I want a VTX but am not sure on what size. The 1800 would be nice for the power but the 1300 is lighter, a little cheaper and I've heard it sounds better because it has a 1 pin crank. Is this true and if so why do the 1 and 2 pin cranks sound different? Also if the bike is anything like my mustang it will not stay stock for very long. I was just wondering what I would need to buy and approximately how much it would cost to rake/stretch out the front end a little bit, drop the seat a few inches (sits a little high IMO) and do a 240 (or possibly even bigger if it is possible) conversion? Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
63,769 Posts

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
check out Lamonsters bike, all that and more. also, check with Hal at HDL he's here on the site, and ask them, they have both done the mods. There is also a 300 conversion on the way. Good luck,

·
Registered
630 Posts
You are the only one that can make the decision about 1300 or 1800. If sound is a major concern, the 1300 will sound very close to a Harley. It is no slouch. It will stay with or outrun most Harleys. If power is a major concern, and you want fuel injection. The 1800 is the way to go. If you can, test ride them both and then decide. As far as 240 kits. I believe, just the parts are around $2000.

Hdl sells the swing arm for $799.Of course you will need a rim and 240 tire and a new fender.
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/vtx/p ... =350146933

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies guys. Do you have to rejet the carburated 1300 for just exhaust or is in not really necessary? Also is the 1800 more reliable because of the fuel injection?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Highlander said:
check out Lamonsters bike, all that and more. also, check with Hal at HDL he's here on the site, and ask them, they have both done the mods. There is also a 300 conversion on the way. Good luck,
Are you talking about the PSP bike? That is actually exactly how I would want my bike to look like but I don't know if I am going to have the funds right now. It looks like my bike is pretty much just going to get aftermarket exhaust until after I buy a new car.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Exhaust

If you still have the stock air box on it and just change the pipes, you shouldn't have to change the jetting. Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
901 Posts
99GTvert said:
Thanks for the replies guys. Do you have to rejet the carburated 1300 for just exhaust or is in not really necessary? Also is the 1800 more reliable because of the fuel injection?
I ride with a buddy who has a 1300. First time we sparked our bikes up, I put my kickstand up and he looked at me like I was crazy. He goes "you're ready to go already...how did you warm that thing up so fast"?. He didn't know the 1800 was fuel injected. I prefer fuel injection anyday. It takes him a few minutes to warm his bike up before he can start riding it.

Not knocking the 1300 by any means...it's a nice bike. But, the 1800 has it's advantages IMHO.

·
Registered
453 Posts
both are built for the same purpose so it's really up to you. however, if you can find a 1800 left over that cost the same as the 1300, i would suggest buying it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you're going to spend the money just go for it all and get the 1800. Once you start moving the weight slides right off (the bike that is - and we're not talking your passenger off the back seat either!). I had reservations at first too but one accidental test drive on the 1800 decided it for me.

Whatever you decide though, you will love it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
My last bike was an FJ1100, 12 years ago. I thought I was comfortable on big bikes. After looking at the 1800, it looked too intimidating. Big tank, long base, heavy so I decided on a 1300. I left the dealer to have lunch while they prepped the bike and the paperwork. At the time, they were the same price. 04 1300, 03 1800.

When I returned, I stopped and looked at the 1800 again:

Dual rotor front discs
Fuel Injected
Hydraulic Clutch
Inverted Forks

I thought about it for a little while, between the additional technology in the 1800, and the additional power, I figured I'd rather grow into a bike than out of one and told the sales guy to get the 1800 ready instead.

I've never looked back.

PS I've got an 05 Mustang GT. It gets real difficult deciding where the mod money goes sometimes. Good luck on that!

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have had my 1800R for three years and have not looked back. I am considereing the 1300 for my wife, only cause she is petite, but the more I research this, I can come close to the same weight with a few minor mods of the 1800. It is balanced so well that the only time the weight seems to matter is when stopped. Was at a dealer yesterday and they had a new 03 1800R for about the same price as a new 1300 so look around. Whichever you decide you will not be dissapointed. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Don't let the weight and size intimidate you.

The size is actually a good thing - it rides great and once the wheels are turning it is as nimble as any...balance is excellent and even stopped the weight is no big deal (just compare the weight from the 1300 to the 1800, they really aren't that much different)

#1 reason I bought the 1800 - fuel injection...carbs can't compare.
#2 reason - the size. I love the huge feeling of the bike. On smaller bikes I felt like I was to big (or the bike to small)

It's your choiuce but, for the price difference, I'd go with the 1800.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
The good news is that you can't go wrong with either one. I went through the same process of ratiocination on the pros and cons of both bikes and decided on the 1800. I have nearly 7000 miles now and have loved every mile. The 1800 is an awesome bike. As I said though, both are excellent bikes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts