Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vtx 1800, 05, want to add tunes to my ride, mp3 player, ear buds, handle bar speakers, helmet speakers??? Want decent sound....what have you all tried that works well..LOVE the vtx btw, multiple harleys, yamahas,wings, etc....I'm a honda guy...thanks

·
Registered
517 Posts
I would go with a batwing faring with whatever system you want. Anything else just isn't good enough.

My test for a good stereo is, at 60+ mph if I hear a song I have never heard before, can I make out the words. With my batwing setup I can.

I have a Tsukayu GPS batwing fairing. I added the optional Nakamichi 350 Watt powerful amplifier. I rewired it to mono bridged and swapped out the crappy speakers with Polk Audio mm692's.

Some day I may change the headunit to an apple carplay unit. But, for now, I'm happy.

Tsukayu GPS Batwing Fairing:
https://tsukayu.com/QuickDetachableFairingwithGPS.html

Polk Audio mm692:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVPPRP8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

Riding with a batwing fairing takes getting used to, but now, I don't like riding without it. It does a great job of blocking the wind. I also added a longrideshields recurve windshield (I measured after I had everything installed, the top of the shield is right under my nose).

Here are some pictures (Click for higher res pictures):

·
Registered
8,427 Posts
I second the batwing.

I got a woodies fairing. Then I did an alpine head unit and amp.

I also have power now at the front of the bike.

·
Registered
308 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
They are illegal in many states, I'm not sure which states.

I use ear plugs while I ride, I can hear my batwing stereo over the wind noise and ear plugs. The plugs actually make it so I hear the stereo better, since it cut out most of the wind noise.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My bike has a Batwing and when I got it, there was a Alpine deck and bar mounted speakers. I removed them on day 2 of ownership. No offence to anyone here, ride your ride, but I don't like to listen to others music and assume no one wants to hear mine.

I have a Uclear BT communicator and play music through it. I wear a 1/2 helmet and use noise cancelling earbuds with it. I also have a speakers in my FF helmet for the few times I wear it.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
They are illegal in many states, I'm not sure which states.
So are loud pipes.

Earbuds being "illegal" is a non issue.

Hundreds of thousands of miles ridden, most of the states. Never had an issue nor heard of anyone having an issue.

There is simply no reason to use a batwing *for music* .......
Unless of course that's what you want.

·
Registered
517 Posts
So are loud pipes.

Earbuds being "illegal" is a non issue.

Hundreds of thousands of miles ridden, most of the states. Never had an issue nor heard of anyone having an issue.

There is simply no reason to use a batwing *for music* .......
Unless of course that's what you want.
I used to ride with earbuds/speakers in my full helmet on my last bike. It really was the only way to get audio/GPS notifications on a sport bike.

Having speakers mounted on the handlebars/batwing still lets me hear emergency vehicles and horns. When I was using in helmet/ear buds, even at low volume I had a hard time hearing these warnings, but this might just be me.

If one doesn't like the look/feel of a batwing I get it, it really does change the style. But if one doesn't mind it, it is by far the best option to get incredible sound.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts