Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple months ago I was knocking around the idea of starting a bike related event in Cedar City, UT. I haven’t forgotten about it, and in fact have made some decent progress. Before I get further, though, I wanted to toss out a couple ideas to see what you guys think.

The date has been a real problem. I originally thought of July, but there’s already the Thunder on the Mountain event at Bryan Head Ski Resort (30 minutes or so north of Cedar). How does June sound? Maybe the weekend of June 18th? Can you think of competing regional events that might cause a conflict?

I also don’t want to spend a bunch of out of pocket $$ for an event that won’t have that many people show up. My idea right now is to have a small “Bar-B-Q” type of event. Here’s the plan so far:

Saturday June 18th

10:30 to 11:30 Check in and registration
11:30 to 1:30 Meet-n-Greet Picnic with a Show-n-Shine in the Park
2:00 to 4:30 Poker Run
5:00 to 6:30 Motorcycle Rodeo
7:00 to 11:00 Outdoor Bar-B-Q with local bands

The picnic is a "Bring your own" style, and the Show-n-Shine is for pride (no trophies, etc.) unless folks want to pay big $$ to help offset the costs. This early in an event I figure it wouldn't be worth it.

As for the Poker Run I figure it would likely be from Cedar up over Cedar Mountain (Highway 14) then down the east side to the Zion entrance and back through Zion. There would be a charge to go through Zion, so that would have to be figured in. I also figure if folks want "prizes" for the run then we'll need to charge a small fee to cover that costs. What price would you folks be willing to pay for that type of deal?

I’m not 100% set on the motorcycle rodeo since I’m not sure how many folks this event would draw. I’m also not sure on how this would go over for those who didn’t want to participate, so I’m interested in ideas for this as well.

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
event

I think it sounds fun in June. I could tow my barbeque behind me on the scoot - just gotta got get a trailer hitch and some road tires for the ole Webber :lol:

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Holy Cow Doc :shock:

Have you ever done a motorcycle event before? That is one whole heck of a lot of work your planning for yourself there. Don't kill yourself. Enjoy yourself.

One suggestion, I might make is going up highway 14, than cutting off at highway 148 and going over and visiting Cedar Breaks. Than take highway 143 through Dixie Nat'l Park, down past Panguitch Resevoir and down into Panguitch, than South to Zions. If that's to far, we could cut off in the middle of Dixie Nat'l Park, take a right, and go through that back road where all the Lava Flows are and come back onto Highway 14. Lots of neat scenery and mountain cabins up through there.

Do you recommend a place to stay? Campground? Backyard? Nice Motel? :?

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Just a suggestion.

After or before this event, probably one of the most spectacular rides in the summer is to ride through Escalante, Boulder, Torrey, Fish Lake area. Highways 12 and 24.

If anyone would like to take that ride on the way down or the way back, I'm game.

If you haven't been through that area, it is Unbeleivable. Designated a Scenic Route.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lots of Work ... No Return

Yeah, putting anything like this together is going to be LOTS of work. One thing I've been tossing around is just making it a VTX rally to begin with. Or maybe a VTX and Metric Rally. Not that I have anything against the HD lot ... but it seems like they have LOTS of rallies, etc.

I figure the hardest work will be setting up the permits. I should know more on that in the next week or so. My plan is to reserve a city park for the rally and then find a gathering point. I work at Southern Utah University, so there's a few parking lots around there that might work. Maybe right off the interstate next to the university's football stadium would be one. I'm going to check with the university president's office to see what might be available.

I'm also going to visit with our motorcycle and outdoor shops in town. See how many might want to pitch in a couple $$ for sponsorship (maybe offset the cost of renting a big BBQ pit) or can participate in a Show-n-Shine type event.

Anyway, I'll know lots more in the next week, and if that all works out then I'll make a formal announcement. Watch for something by mid-April, which will give me about a month to put finishing touches on the thing.

As for routes, I do like the idea of running over toPanguitch and back around. Maybe instead of Zion (which will cost $$ to go through) I'll focus on a free route instead.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
If you need help with Utah Parks and Recreation let me know, my brother is a smucky muck over there and they also fund a lot of the City and County Parks improvements.

Sure a nice ride over by Bryce, to Tropic and even further to Escalante and back, if you wanted to add a little mileage onto the ride. Price is right too. :)

I have some connections over at Ruby's Inn, if you'd like to do anything over there. Every time I've been over to Ruby's there have sure been a lot of bikers around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts