Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 2007 VTX 1300C. It only came with one key, and I'm looking to have another made. Any tips on the best approach. Is there a good source for blanks to have one cut locally? Or is this something a dealer neeeds to do? Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
My local ACE hardware carried the blanks. I have them cut it and tried it in the bike: ignition, gas cap and lock before paying for it. I would check all 3 places to make sure it works good.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
I went to our local locksmith and safe company - Willis Klein. They had the blanks and cut me a key for less than $5.

·
Registered
529 Posts
My dealer did it for me, cheap (2 for 1 price). I had 2 copies, but I wanted extra because I was going to cut one to do the key mod. Once they do it, they will document your key number, and they can remake the key without an actual copy on hand.

They DIDN'T have the black base keys, only the all metal keys.

·
Registered
886 Posts
No body in my little town made Honda Motorcycle keys so I went to EBay and found a company that made a key from the code under the ignition switch chrome cover.

Yes...I know...it's a possibility the EBay key maker could travel to my address they mailed the key to and steal the bike, but it's very unlikely.

I want to say it was $20 with shipping and the key works perfect.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
F.Y.I.
The hardware key blanks are more brittle than the Honda OEM key/Blanks. Use the hardware versions as your spares not everyday use. That is what I do. You can do a search here on the forum about the aftermarket keys information.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
I have a "X84 ilco HD74" probably cut at ACE many years ago. Many miles on it.
Save your Master key.

Do not put anything on the key more than a string.
Key fobs and other things will scratch side cover or left engine cover.
String is for me to help find key or pull out from watch pocket.

Attachments

·
Registered
337 Posts
For years I carried my spare in my wallet.
Until credit cards started getting the new chips in them and my credit card chips kept breaking but I was to dense to make to connection........

·
Registered
390 Posts
Ace Hardware made my spares. I keep one in my wallet.
Same here with Ace. I keep my spare on a lanyard with one dogtag (from the old days) so they pump the right kind of blood into me or say the right words over me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A local locksmith made two copies for me under $5. I keep a spare on the ring where I keep my saddle bag keys and the key for my cable lock for my jacket that stays in my pants pocket. The original is in my gun safe at home. The key I use has a small harbinger on it to clip to the zipper of my jacket or a ring sewn on my riding pants. This provides easy access with gloves on without digging into pockets. As Hans said, make sure anything you attach to the key in the ignition isn't long enough to reach the side cover in flight. Good luck.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have (3), original hanging at home, one in my Honda tool case, and the one I use to ride.

·
Old Goat
24,199 Posts
Did the key mod using a drawer pull served me well for 13 years and have an original for backup...:thumbup:

·
Registered
114 Posts
I didn't know what to get so I went here: keys4urride.com I needed keys for both my Shadow and my wifes Rebel. The keys work great and they had a large selection. The thing I liked most is that you could put in your key code and you got a nice fresh cut key vs a copy of a worn key.

I wanted the original honda key for my VTX so I found one off ebay and bought it there.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts