Honda VTX Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
I use a piece of nylon parachute rope very strong and soft will not scratch the side cover

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently bought a 2007 VTX 1300C. It only came with one key, and I'm looking to have another made. Any tips on the best approach. Is there a good source for blanks to have one cut locally? Or is this something a dealer neeeds to do? Thanks.
If you look under the gas cap you can find the code to give to a dealer to make a key

·
Old Goat
24,409 Posts
FWIW,I did the key mod 14 years ago zero issues...spare OEM key on carabiner on belt loop...good luck

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
My best advice? Get more than one copy! I have my original key done with a Key Mod (top of key matches my seat pin mod as shown in photo). I keep a spare in my wallet, and two at home. If I lose my wallet I have two at home, one to replace the one in my wallet and one as a second backup.

Seat Pin in hand

·
Old Goat
24,409 Posts
My best advice? Get more than one copy! I have my original key done with a Key Mod (top of key matches my seat pin mod as shown in photo). I keep a spare in my wallet, and two at home. If I lose my wallet I have two at home, one to replace the one in my wallet and one as a second backup.

Seat Pin in hand
Gee that looks just like my seat pin mod I did when I got my bike....(y)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No body in my little town made Honda Motorcycle keys so I went to EBay and found a company that made a key from the code under the ignition switch chrome cover.

Yes...I know...it's a possibility the EBay key maker could travel to my address they mailed the key to and steal the bike, but it's very unlikely.

I want to say it was $20 with shipping and the key works perfect.
I know, it's an old post, but:

I needed keys quickly for my VTX, because got the bike without keys. Got an OEM key (with black plastic head) around $7 cut at the local dealer in 2008. Now it's around $8 + cut.... so check the options at your local dealer, too.
BTW, most likely there are matching blank non motorcycle keys at your local locksmiths and ACE Hardware, so they can cut a key for your VTX, if you have a working one.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
I use the stock key blank and keep the spare in the tool bag under the seat. Not the most secure, but definitely needed when the o.g. key gets washed down a storm drain (ask me how I know)....

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
for the issues of life and a key

install a on/off switch behind a side cover..
to override the key switch
same for the starter solenoid... issues with starter switch and/or the safety circuits ..

just remember.. shift transmission into Neutral .. FIRST.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts